Air force/navy hpsp

I have recently applied for both the AF & Navy HPSP (Health Professions Scholarship Program). For those who have applied, has anyone heard back yet? Mine supposidly met the board early this month (jan.2012). I'm also curious if anyone has any idea how many slots are left or if it is already full.Any additional advice about the program is welcome also! Thanks

I have recently applied for both the AF & Navy HPSP (Health Professions Scholarship Program). For those who have applied, has anyone heard back yet? Mine supposidly met the board early this month (jan.2012). I'm also curious if anyone has any idea how many slots are left or if it is already full.Any additional advice about the program is welcome also! Thanks

I have. Like you said, HSCP does seem like a pretty good deal. No tuition paid, but a bigger paycheck per month. I am currently working with the Navy for both. Despite getting my applications completed, none of the HEALTH recruiters I've dealt with seem to know anything about the details of slots open, deadlines, reapplying etc etc. Thanks for the comment.

I have. Like you said, HSCP does seem like a pretty good deal. No tuition paid, but a bigger paycheck per month. I am currently working with the Navy for both. Despite getting my applications completed, none of the HEALTH recruiters I've dealt with seem to know anything about the details of slots open, deadlines, reapplying etc etc. Thanks for the comment.

HPSP, HCSP they will all get you on active duty in the Navy...What could be better than an all expense paid trip to an IED-laden combat zone? Please keep in mind that the educational benefits are great but you WILL deploy shortly after coming on active duty in the Navy. No question. I sponsored (2) new Navy PAs in the last 3 years and they both deployed. So did I, only 7 months after coming on station at another overseas billet.

Don't mistake my statements on this forum as negative. On the contrary, most of us truly enjoy the exeriences we've had. But we are also tired of having to listen to new accession civilian trained PAs whining about how they were treated unfairly or their recruiter told them they wouldn't deploy for xx amount of time. You have been warned, you WILL deploy and more than likely with the Marines and maybe Army. When you deploy with the Marines it is truly an honor but one that is earned through hardship and experience built respect.

Talk to PAs in the service NOW. Talk to PAs from all services. Stay away from the self-proclaimed experts that only complain about how they were treated unfairly or were never given any opporuinities to excel. Than make an educated decision indpendent of the promises made to you by a recruiter because if it isn't in black and white then it isn't real, no matter how much you may want it to be.

Also, maybe do a search on here because I have posted about my experiences as one of the first Navy HPSPers and so have my colleagues.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

I appreciate the honesty. Its tough to find inside information, real information, when dealing with recruiters. I have applied to both the AF & Navy--I don't want to deploy obviously, but if that happens I'm prepared to do so. I'm curious as to the daily life as a Naval PA. Again I've talked to the military about these questions but its always sugar-coated.Also, any thoughts on the impact that military spending cuts will have on scholarships such as HPSP? Thanks again

Typial day for a Navy PA-C in my current hospital billet overseas:

0700-0715: Review current labs, messages, schedule for the day, develop a "game plan" with assigned corpsman and nursing staff. Handle military administrative/leadership duties ( I manage a FM panel of >700 pts and am the ADH of another department and I see re-triaged pts from the ER in a sort of Urgent Care model) Get Java.

0715-0740: Order necessary labs, CT scan, MRIs etc for pts. I have seen recently or will see that day (Example: My 1400 pt is coming in for "abd pain" x 4 days and she is 23 yo....hCg, UA with cx, etc.)

0740-1120: Start seeing regular empanelled pts every 20 minutes and doing necessary procedures in addition to aforementioned ER re-directs (gotta love ordering cardiac markers in the clinic)

LUNCH (always a bonus if you actually get one)

1240-1500: More of the same, a new pt every 20 min and juggling procedures and prev health physicals. More ER re-directs. Yesterday I had a suicidal uncontrolled epileptic. We have no neurologist...we have no adolescent/child mental health provider...

1500-1600: More lab ordering, imaging review/ordering, consulting with everyone from gen surgery to pulmonologist (had a pt yesterday with "pneumonia x 14 days" that I had to send to CT after CXR...porbable lung ca)

1600-1700: Finish all EMR entries. Debrief with staff and prepare for the next day. Patient call-backs as needed. Complete leadership duties.

But that is my billet and I never say no to any patient booking. Some do and have more well defined parameters based on comfort level. I enjoy the degree of autonomy I have but sometimes can get a bit rattled when the mid-levels are the only ones on deck.

Then there is the branch clinic across island. I think they have lunch at the country club everyday. lol.

Scared you off yet?:;;D:

• Like 1

Also, any thoughts on the impact that military spending cuts will have on scholarships such as HPSP? Thanks again

Incentive pays, bonuses, etc. are projected and funded year to year. Just because we are currently getting the incentive pay (IP) and board certified pay (BCP) at a rate of $916/month, does not mean it will be funded for next fiscal year. This is the uncertainity we all deal with in milmed, both PAs and physicians the like.

As far as HPSP, HCSP, accession bonuse (AB) and retention bonuses (RB), once you are locked in to a "contract" then you are almost certainly guaranteed funding for the duration. I cannot comment on fiscal year quotas because those are highly variable. The year I applied for HPSP (first year it was offered) there were only (10) slots period. I was the second chosen and to be honest I was also applying for other programs because I was given no direction on what my "chances" were of being selected. I recommend this as well so make sure you look in to NHSC, IHS, etc. I don't know if I would be where I am today if NHSC had come through with a faster decision...

Navy PA-C helped me with my package for HPSP. I graduated in August 2010, reported to my first command in December, deployed August 2011. So yeah, plan on being deployed early. When I checked into my command the OIC said "Welcome aboard! We don't expect you to be here six months from now." That being said, I love what I do and plan on staying beyond my 3 year commitment.

Hey guys I am interested in the HPSP for either the Navy or the Air Force. Does anyone know how long of a commitment it is? And what type of work is done? Is it ICU work or more general based care? How long are deployments for? Also, if I was to join the Air Force would I only be deployed with the Air Force or would I deploy with other branches?

Thanks

-Megan

Megan, the commitment is 3 years, you will work in primary care, especially your first tour, deployments depends on who you go with. With the Marines typically about 6 mo, sometimes up to a year. You can also get tagged for an IA deployment with the Army which are about 12 mo. I believe AF PA's can get tagged for deployments with the Army too, but I also heard it's a volunteer type thing for them. Go NAVY!

I found out I was placed on the alternate list for the Air Force HPSP. Megan, apply early--It is rolling "admissions" similar to alot a PA schools. I plan to reapply this summer for the 1st board (out of 4 running through the fall). My application met the last board this past January and I heard last week. Regardless of when your school starts, apply early. I also applied to the Navy, however I'm told they send applications to the board on an "AS NEED" bases rather than on a schedule...anybody know anything about this? I still have no idea how many slots. Thanks again guys, I appreciate the great information/details!

LRP is extremely competitive as well and the quotas change year. Apply now. You reserve the right to contact BUMED directly as well, the number is on the HPSP website.

Remember that I told you that even if you get the HPSP in the second year it WILL NOT cover back tuition prior to when you actually sign your contract. This is a significant change from when I was awarded the scholarship.

So then it becomes that "second year scholarship" that many of us turned down from the AF. What does this mean? It means that you will potentially have to pay back 3 years for only 12-14 months of actual paid tuition.

But I can see the allure for some because they chose a program that charged an inflated tuition...but that is another topic already discussed elsewhere. :O_O:

• Upvote 1

This thread has given me excellent insight. I had no idea those scholarships were so competitive. I hope you get one :). I am calling an af or navy recruiter on Tuesday (my next day off) plus nothing says Valentines day like trying to sign up for the military lol. I just really want to join but i want to make sure I know all the options and that i am not falsely led into anything. If I am goimg to be immediately deployed thats fine. I don't need them to sugar coat anything. Navy pa-c thanks for your honest post on how pas are usually immediately deployed. Good to know that way i won't be suprised.

BUMED? I was told the HPSP would backpay the semester I was currently in at the time of signing. Could be another false statement by my recruiter...I would definitely rather do the LRP rather than just a year of assistance from HPSP, still for a 3 yr commitment. I've asked about LRP before with my recruiter with no luck--what is BUMED, is this who I contact? Thanks again.

thanks; so lets say I pay for my second semester/quarter up front out of my own pocket, then commission--they'll back pay me the tuition, no back pay on the stipend however? Also, if I'm in school and they notify me that I have been accepted, what will it take to become commissioned...at that point is it simply signing the contract and I can begin receiving $ and the rest will comes later (being sworn in etc.) thanks again

thanks; so lets say I pay for my second semester/quarter up front out of my own pocket, then commission--they'll back pay me the tuition, no back pay on the stipend however? Also, if I'm in school and they notify me that I have been accepted, what will it take to become commissioned...at that point is it simply signing the contract and I can begin receiving $ and the rest will comes later (being sworn in etc.) thanks again

They told me the same thing, It did NOT happen. In order for them to pay you back you have to have to be commissioned for at least one day of that semester. I fought this for a while but in the end I will be paying out of pocket for one semester of PA school. No stipend, no tuition reimbursement. Keep in mind this is the USN HPSP

Please re-read my last post. I am telling you flat out that you better make sure you know exactly when you will start getting tuition paid and stipend. The military fiscal year is October to October. The budget is broken down by quarters but more importantly by fiscal year projections.

My colleague graduated her very expensive PA program with only (1) year of paid tuition. She still owes 3 years payback. Yes, she applied on time but was denied for the first year and her app was pushed to the next FY. So it stands to reason why she is not getting retro-pay, right? I mean do you get what I am saying...

I urge you to contact BUMED directly. If you don't know what BUMED is then you haven't done enough research because I have posted the link several times both in recent and old posts and so have my fellow Navy PAs. Also, maybe check out:

www.navypa.org

Caveat emptor Metallicat?:wink:

• Upvote 2

They told me the same thing, It did NOT happen. In order for them to pay you back you have to have to be commissioned for at least one day of that semester. I fought this for a while but in the end I will be paying out of pocket for one semester of PA school. No stipend, no tuition reimbursement. Keep in mind this is the USN HPSP

Sorry this happend to you but it is a fiscal issue. Take comfort in knowing that based on how much your tuition is you still come out on top.

I made $115K this year with all bennies included. If you add how much I am NOT paying in tuition loans then that number is significantly more...

I am telling people this because it is open knowledge and easily available info with a quick google search. Military salaries are dictated by Congress.

So to calculate:

1) you will come in as an O-2 from HPSP (prior service excluded of course and case-by-case).

2) do you have dependents? (spouse, children, dep family members, etc.)

3) what zipcode will you be living in/near? Or will you be overseas? (what are you being offered? you will not know for sure until ~3-6 mos from graduation, but what is likely going to be your first billet?)

4) What bonuses, incentives as an MSC (PA) are you eligible for? (see prior posts, it's all there including the actual instruction)

You will go to a primary care billet 95% of the time. That 5% is for those with significant prior HCE. For example, A PA-C with 14 years of peri-operative experience went to a surgical billet. She also came in as an O-3 with no prior service.

Sorry but 2 years of EM/CC experience is not considered significant. It's not personal people.:;-D:

Edited by Navy PA-C
  • Upvote 1

I am aware that I will be coming out on top as my program is at a private university and very expensive so I have no problem footing the bill for one quarter. I was just told by my recruiter that I would be payed back for the previous semester because I had already been selected for the HPSP scholarship but just waiting till Jan. of the new year to be commissioned. I have no hard feelings toward my recruiter who gave me this information, I just took his word for it and didn't do the research for myself. Lesson learned.