Extra $10K for a program worth it?

I am deciding between 2 schools, one is $10,000 more than the other (total tuition for program), same length, same city (though housing slightly cheaper near the more expensive school), but I am leaning toward this program because the other program is fairly new (I'd be 4th class, still provisional status) and I heard from current student some poor reviews of didactic year at newer program (although they said only positive things about clinicals).  

Question is...I'll get to same end point...is it foolish to spend extra $10k plus interest for a school that feels like a safer bet (in terms of having their stuff together in didactic year and longer relationships with preceptors)??

THANKS for your input!

$10,000 is a lot of money, but it's less than $500 a month. If you can afford it, pick the school that you feel the most comfortable attending. One with good teachers, decent facilities, and a supportive environment.

Walk for several days in a shoe you bought that pinches your toes and you'll understand what I'm saying.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yup for a better school it's worth the expense.

Thanks.  Any thoughts on rotation settings? Specifically: the cheaper program houses most of their rotations in the large on-site university hospital (urban) with a few rotations at affiliates.  The other program has rotations that are a further distance away, at a larger variety of facilities with what appears to be smaller hospitals in addition to private offices etc.   The first option sounds more convenient and more renowned, but also like more competition with other students/med students/residents etc. for experiences...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

you want rotations where there are lots of pts to see and very few other students or residents competing to see those pts. and do procedures.

This.  1-2 rotations at academic/teaching hospitals MAX.  Make sure most of the rest are rural or suburban: you may not get to see much, but you get to do more.

Archived