Part time offer. Should I still be looking for FT work?

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for being incredibly helpful on this forum.

I initially received a full time offer from an urgent care that got changed to part-time as the HR manger realized they were over-staffed. However, offer letter mentions potential for employment full time in the future and I was also informed by HR manager that this could turn into full time depending on whether a certain employee switches to part-time. However, they mentioned there were no guarantees.

In this situation, should I be applying for full time work at other jobs while working part time at this place? I am just not sure how to navigate this situation. I have the savings to hold me off for 4-5 months, but I am not sure if I should just be putting all 100% of my time into working hard at this new part-time position and trying to convert to full time instead of applying to full time jobs while working part-time. Any guidance would be helpful.

This is an urgent care where I could potentially pick up shifts as well.

Thank you. 

I was recently in a similar situation. The Urgent Care I work for has a PRN pool. When I first started, I was told there weren't any full time or part time opportunities so I opted to join the PRN pool. In a few months, I created a reputation for myself and was recently offered a full time position. In my own situation, there were a number of extra shifts available that I was able to pick up to supplement my income. My advice to you would be to take the PT work if it's something you're interested in but by all means continue to look for FT work in the meantime. If you do end up leaving the PT position, it's an easy sell to future employers that you left that previous position for a FT opportunity. Hope that helps!

Never been in your situation, but personally I would want the income from the part-time job, and possibly even more important NOT have the break in employment on my CV/resume.

Every interviewer I've ever met has always asked for an explanation about any breaks I had in employment.  They want to know if I was looking for a job that entire time or was there a reason I wasn't looking for a job.  If I was looking for a job and couldn't get one, why not?  What was the reason other people wouldn't hire me and is this the same reason this job shouldn't hire me.

Thank you both for shedding some light on this. I have started looking for FT work, but I am hoping to convert this part-time job into a full time position. Will give it a solid 1-2 months to see whether this can potentially convert into a full time gig. Will be looking for full time work in the mean time. However, will search a lot more furiously if 2 months in, it does not appear that there's a chance to convert to FT. 

Archived