What do you think of my contact?

Family Practice at and Indian clinic, 21 pts scheduled per day.

Salary: 92k. No overtime, comp time, or bonuses.

Benefits: Great medical, dental, vision, disability. I'm probably forgetting something here but the benefits are great.

CME: $2500 with 5 days paid. Licensing etc. all come from this fund.

PTO: Federal holidays, 20 days pto, 13 sick, and 3 personal days.

Retirement: 4% matching with profit sharing that is usually pretty equal to another 4%.

Entirely separate from that I also work for the tribe doing prn fast track shifts for $80/hr. I couldn't be happier with that but it's not a lot of shifts. Usually 2-3 a month. The only drawback is fast track is M-F 3-11 so I work 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. those days without breaks except to eat leftovers as quick as possible.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The salary is my frustration. They recently released salaries because it's tribal government run and they hired a new grad that I helped train for about 25k more. (She's a member of the tribe and I'm not)

When I started the salary was "non-negotiable" and they just let over 100 people go due to being millions in debt and the last guy who asked from a raise was fired 2 days later so I might as well walk instead of asking.

^^^ and you are worried about the salary after typing that out?

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not asking if I should try to get a raise. I know it's a crock that they pay tribal members more but decisions like that are why they are millions of dollars in debt.

I've been with them 4.5 years but I'm thinking of joining the USPHS and then staying in my current role.

If you can, join the USPHS. Many, many benefits in the long run. You may take a cut in salary now but you will really make it up later. When you are ready to move on there will be many different roles for you but you will never have to go backwards in seniority and pay. You will get more respect from management as well. They will always know that you have someone else to complain to and that you will always have options, and that someone else has your back.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not asking if I should try to get a raise. I know it's a crock that they pay tribal members more but decisions like that are why they are millions of dollars in debt.

I've been with them 4.5 years but I'm thinking of joining the USPHS and then staying in my current role.

What he is trying to say is that worrying about your salary is the least of your problems if that is how they treat employees.

Contract is okay....are they also covering student loans??

Sounds like the work environment is toxic. Start working on an exit plan.

I'm getting IHS loan repayment so it's not exactly tied to the position but i would have to find another IHS site to go to. My initial 2 year loan repayment contract ends June 2017 so I can get out then but I owe about 24k right now. If i stay until June 2018, I'll be down to about 6k with no out of pocket costs.

My wife is in school and she isn't ready to move so I'm not exactly mobile.

Gotchya....perfect example of why I suggest people NOT take those kind of deals.  You're making less than average money, but you're chained to this toxic job because you need the loan repayment (and wife's school, of course).

Imagine if you had been working at a great place making $120K a year.  You could've had the loans paid off in 2 years and been free of the chains.

I would start working on an exit plan.  Save every penny you can in a war-chest you could use if you need to bail.  Start looking for other jobs close by so your wife can stay in school.  And have your wife start exploring options to transfer.

If you do that, and they summarily fire you, you'll have cash to live on during transition.

If you do that, and you keep working there until June of 2018, you'll be able to easily pay that $6K remainder and walk toward greener pastures.

Gotchya....perfect example of why I suggest people NOT take those kind of deals.  You're making less than average money, but you're chained to this toxic job because you need the loan repayment (and wife's school, of course).

Imagine if you had been working at a great place making $120K a year.  You could've had the loans paid off in 2 years and been free of the chains.

I would start working on an exit plan.  Save every penny you can in a war-chest you could use if you need to bail.  Start looking for other jobs close by so your wife can stay in school.  And have your wife start exploring options to transfer.

If you do that, and they summarily fire you, you'll have cash to live on during transition.

If you do that, and you keep working there until June of 2018, you'll be able to easily pay that $6K remainder and walk toward greener pastures.

He needs to look into the cost of breaking the IHS repayment contract.  Default fines are excessively punitive if you leave by choice or are fired with cause.  It is 3 x what you have received (plus interest at maximum legal rate) x [(the contract length - time served)/contract length].  So, as I read it, with one year of two years paid OP has received $20k.  So default fine is 3x 20 x [(24months - 12 months)/24 months]  So OP would probably owe a minimum of $30k to the federal government to break his contract 12 months in.

Your advise is still spot on.  A war chest gives you nothing but options, but the cost of breaking that contract would be debilitating.  He is functionally chained unless they fire him without cause... and even then he is expected to find another LRP eligible contract within a 35 day period or seek a suspension of his contract until such a time as he can find a suitable replacement, or 6 months in which case he goes into breach.

TL;DR: He is stuck

source: https://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/includes/themes/newihstheme/display_objects/documents/IHS_LRP_ParticipantGuide.pdf

He needs to look into the cost of breaking the IHS repayment contract. Default fines are excessively punitive if you leave by choice or are fired with cause. It is 3 x what you have received (plus interest at maximum legal rate) x [(the contract length - time served)/contract length]. So, as I read it, with one year of two years paid OP has received $20k. So default fine is 3x 20 x [(24months - 12 months)/24 months] So OP would probably owe a minimum of $30k to the federal government to break his contract 12 months in.

Your advise is still spot on. A war chest gives you nothing but options, but the cost of breaking that contract would be debilitating. He is functionally chained unless they fire him without cause... and even then he is expected to find another LRP eligible contract within a 35 day period or seek a suspension of his contract until such a time as he can find a suitable replacement, or 6 months in which case he goes into breach.

TL;DR: He is stuck

source: https://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/includes/themes/newihstheme/display_objects/documents/IHS_LRP_ParticipantGuide.pdf

My current contract ends the end of May. Then I'm out of contract until the day the next payment is deposited with will be approximately the end of August.

My current contract ends the end of May. Then I'm out of contract until the day the next payment is deposited with will be approximately the end of August.

In that case the penalty is substantially smaller but still pretty abusive.  You've been paid $40k by now, correct?  so you are looking at 3 x $40,000 x .125.  It would be a greater than $15000 fine if I am doing the math correctly.  Funny thing is that if I am doing the math right the total is still a $15k fine for a one year contract at $20k...

In that case the penalty is substantially smaller but still pretty abusive. You've been paid $40k by now, correct? so you are looking at 3 x $40,000 x .125. It would be a greater than $15000 fine if I am doing the math correctly. Funny thing is that if I am doing the math right the total is still a $15k fine for a one year contract at $20k...

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm able to walk penalty free from June to August because I'm out of contract from the end of the first 2 year contract until the money of the 1 year contract hits my account.

Archived