Malpractice insurance for urgent care offer

Hello all,

I have an offer from a stand alone urgent care that only offers claims made policy in California. I am in the midst of figuring out whether they provide tail coverage. If tail coverage if not provided, would you recommend purchasing tail coverage? Also, is tail coverage purchased only after leaving the company? I had an occurrence based policy with my previous employer which is why claims made is new to me. Thank you in advance for the replies.

bump. Any help would be appreciated. I am just not sure how much of a deal breaker this can be. It seems that most other providers I spoke with at this clinic didn't even know the type of malpractice insurance they had. I am just worried about a claims made malpractice insurance without tail coverage as I have heard of paying obscene amounts if I were to ever leave this practice. Would any of you solely based on this decline the job offer? I have yet to hear about tail coverage from the employer and my inclination is that the reason for the delay in response is that they do not offer it. Appreciate all the help. Thank you. 

Tail coverage is expensive.  

I would NOT take an UC job that didn't provide tail coverage when you leave.  Most UC jobs are relatively short-term.  You'll get tired of the snot & cough clinic and want to do something else, or you will find another UC position that pays much better...but bottom line is few people stay at the same UC jobs for the long term.

So, most likely you'll leave in less than 3 years, and suddenly you won't have insurance coverage for the 18,000 patient contacts you had over the past 3 years.  You'll call around to buy your own tail coverage and find that it'll cost you about $6K for 3 years of coverage.

I'm a pretty libertarian kinda guy, but if our worthless politicians could write a law requiring EVERY med-mal policy to include tail coverage....that would be great!

Archived