work life after PA school

• Administrator

Wait, what?  Most PAs work in clinics or offices, with many having some OR days, rather than as full-time hospitalists or ER providers who spend their entire day in a hospital.  I've been doing this for 4.5 years and haven't been paid to work in a hospital for one hour among all that.  Well, unless you count CME reimbursement for ACLS recerts done in the hospital conference rooms...

Wait, what?  Most PAs work in clinics or offices, with many having some OR days, rather than as full-time hospitalists or ER providers who spend their entire day in a hospital.  I've been doing this for 4.5 years and haven't been paid to work in a hospital for one hour among all that.  Well, unless you count CME reimbursement for ACLS recerts done in the hospital conference rooms...

I can't tell for sure, but I think the OP may be asking 'is it possible to work part time instead of full time' regardless of where.  That or gauge the possibility of a part time job on top of a full time job.

Honestly, these questions are the reason students need HCE prior to PA school.  Yea, knowing how to work with patients is valuable.  But questions like this  make us sound....young....like we've never had real jobs before or have any concept of how adult employment works.

It depends on the physician assistant and the opportunities he/she has after graduation. For example, I met a PA-C who worked part-time in a hospital's neonatology unit and then also practiced part-time at a family practice on adult patients. She was only two years out of PA school when she started doing this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mawrter: I just glanced at the threads you started since joining. I would like to STRONGLY recommend that you take some time to do some searches and read previous content. Your questions have all been addressed in the past. Thank you.

They really need to make the search function better first TBH.

Archived