Abysmal offer…or just me?

So I work in what is probably quite literally the worst state for PAs. Kentucky. We are actually the only state left not allowed to prescribe scheduled meds while NPs are. But here it goes. As a new grad 2 years ago I was offered a hospitalist position in the biggest city of ky. Base salary 85K. I work night shift on a seven on seven off schedule. No PTO. Solo night coverage doing admissions and cross coverage. The shift dif put me at 95K until last month we got a 2500 raise to our base salary putting me 97.5K. I get an average of 18 admits by myself and am usually able to complete 6 HPs a night. I have a non compete and am looking for somewhere where i don't have to work seven 12's in a row at night as after 2 years it is starting to wear on me. so I applied for a nocturnist position in my hometown, which happens to be the second biggest city in ky. Only slightly smaller but with a more saturated workforce. The top university and state's highest performing PA school spit out new grads regularly there. The position I applied for was for three 12 hour shifts with 20 days pto. There would be MD help and other PAs/NPs around so much less responsibility and stress. however they just offered my a whopping 84K including the shift differential. And the cost of living between there and where i live now is virtually the same and if anything the cost of living there is slightly higher than where I live now. If I counter, what should it be? is this a fair offer considering the fewer worked days.? Do I have much room to argue with only 2 years experience? I really want to move back home and work in hospital medicine but that prospect seems bleak if i want to pay my loans and live comfortably. Any advice would be great!

Dang, that's like south Florida bad.  I think they maybe be offering you the new graduate rate.  I might be inclined to get back to somebody and remind them that you are not a new graduate ("sorry for the mix-up!") and ask for another offer.  Then counter THAT offer a little bit.  At the very least, it tells them you are not a sucker.

Low balling like that is pretty common, and occasionally someone will jump on the first offer they get, so there's really no downside in them trying.  There are people who don't even know that negotiating even exists.  A colleague of mine just took a 70+ hour/week surgery job for $72K.

I'm not you, so I can't tell you if giving up that much is worth it.  A much better job for sure, but...dang, that's a lot.  Good luck.

You should absolutely counter. You've worked hard to get to the salary you have presently and based on what you described in your post, you've gained a lot of valuable experience over the past two years under what seems like very challenging circumstances. Therefore, you'd be a great addition to the new position with what you bring to the table. Sell yourself and be confident in your worth. At the very least you should counter with the average between what you make now and what they are offering. I'm a true new grad (as of May 2016) and I've turned down plenty of offers below 90k, (although my field differs from yours) Just my 2 cents...do what's best for you in the end...

job #1

you work 2184 hours per year and get $100000 - this is $just over $45/hour

Job #2

52 weeks, 3 days at 12 hour days  MINUS 20 days (at 12 hours per day) PTO

Means you work 1632 hours, paid 84,000

hourly is a little over $51/hour

sounds a little bit better then job #1...... and a much better schedule...

counter job #2 with the fact that you are not in a position to take a pay cut and you would come on board with the proposed schedule at a salary of $100k and $2500 CME and full bennies.....

• 4 weeks later...

I countered. They told me the hourly rate of 44.95 for night shift was a set in stone rate for someone with my level of experience and that they are unable to negotiate as they would have to change everyone else's salary which is based on an objective scale. They do offer 3K/yr bonus for completion of safety training, CME $2000, and some of the best benefits you can get. I calculated that with only working 3 nights a week plus 21 days PTO I could pick up 1-2 extra shifts a month, which pays time and half to get myself easily to 100K. Still very frustrated about the low pay rates in my state and am considering a move after i feel like I have a comfortable base knowledge of medicine. Thanks for your replies

Ugh, I hate that line of argument: we can't pay you more because then we would have to pay everyone else more.

Unless you were bound by a collective bargaining agreement then no, no you wouldn't.  This is a policy you set in place and policies are not set in stone.  

Anyway, I'd walk.  Kentucky seems like a terrible place to practice as a PA to begin with.

Archived