Preparation for PA School

Hi fellow members,

This question is open for everyone, especially those who are in PA school or preparing to enter PA schools like me. What should I do to prepare myself?

There are things that I know thus far:

1. I will be overwhelmed 

2. There is a crazy amount of info to learn

3. Relax and take a break before you start (which is impossible for me)

But, is there something that you guys think that I should review or study beforehand prior entering the Didactic year, that could help ease the stress, even if by a little? 

I have friends from medical school that gave me some tips on what to study such as diseases and what not, however, what do you think is most effective? I have also been watching videos online about basic anatomy...

Any tips or advice is much appreciated!

Thank you.

Hi fellow members,

This question is open for everyone, especially those who are in PA school or preparing to enter PA schools like me. What should I do to prepare myself?

1. I will be overwhelmed 

But, is there something that you guys think that I should review or study beforehand prior entering the Didactic year, that could help ease the stress, even if by a little? 

I have friends from medical school that gave me some tips on what to study such as diseases and what not, however, what do you think is most effective? I have also been watching videos online about basic anatomy...

Thank you.

I think #3 is the most important.  You will have plenty of studying to do.  If you cannot get away, just take a few days to decompress and relax before starting.  

If you are going to review something, medical terminology is your best bet.  Don't waste your time trying to review A&P or pathology, you'll just make yourself insane.  If your program has given you a detailed schedule and/or is modular in design, you can consider reviewing info pertaining to the first section/system that you are focusing on.  

Lastly, a program I was accepted to advised us to read, "Study without stress: Mastering medical sciences" by Kelman and Straker.  It'll cost you $20-30 (used paperback on amazon).  It's a short book and is meant to help you prepare to manage your time.  It's designed for medical and dental schools so the timing is a little different than our PA education but it is still applicable.  

I think #3 is the most important.  You will have plenty of studying to do.  If you cannot get away, just take a few days to decompress and relax before starting.  

If you are going to review something, medical terminology is your best bet.  Don't waste your time trying to review A&P or pathology, you'll just make yourself insane.  If your program has given you a detailed schedule and/or is modular in design, you can consider reviewing info pertaining to the first section/system that you are focusing on.  

Lastly, a program I was accepted to advised us to read, "Study without stress: Mastering medical sciences" by Kelman and Straker.  It'll cost you $20-30 (used paperback on amazon).  It's a short book and is meant to help you prepare to manage your time.  It's designed for medical and dental schools so the timing is a little different than our PA education but it is still applicable.  

Thank you

It would be helpful to have an understanding of anatomy, physiology and medical terminology prior to entering PA school.  I reviewed a medical terminology book in my free time prior to school and that helped me a lot.  Other than that, enjoy time with family and friends.  Trust me, you will learn all the diseases when you get there.  Best of luck!

It would be helpful to have an understanding of anatomy, physiology and medical terminology prior to entering PA school.  I reviewed a medical terminology book in my free time prior to school and that helped me a lot.  Other than that, enjoy time with family and friends.  Trust me, you will learn all the diseases when you get there.  Best of luck!

Thank you so much!

Hi fellow members,

1. I will be overwhelmed 

Thank you.

You can start teaching yourself how to read 12-lead EKGs. Hundreds of book options and/or websites to use. I used Dubin's book and recommend it

Current first year student here! I know you're so excited to jump in! I wrote a blog post that covers my favorite resources from didactic year so far. Some of them will be used throughout clinicals as well. If you want to check it out, my blog is www.balancingchina.com. I've included links as well. If you have any questions (I had a million), don't hesitate to contact me.

I know it's hard not to feel like you need to study a ton before school starts so hopefully building your school resource kit will help you feel more prepared.

Current first year student here! I know you're so excited to jump in! I wrote a blog post that covers my favorite resources from didactic year so far. Some of them will be used throughout clinicals as well. If you want to check it out, my blog is www.balancingchina.com. I've included links as well. If you have any questions (I had a million), don't hesitate to contact me.

I know it's hard not to feel like you need to study a ton before school starts so hopefully building your school resource kit will help you feel more prepared.

I just bookmarked your blog - so helpful! Thank you!!

Archived