How to get a job as a new graduate

I am graduating at the end of March (2.5 mo away) and have my PANCE scheduled for the beginning of April.

-How far out from graduation should I start applying? I have already applied for a hand full of jobs but have not received any responses, yet. 

-Would it hurt my career in the long run if my first job were to be in something specific- such as working for Medi-Weightloss or taking a job in orthopaedics just because a position was available even though I eventually wanted to work in psychiatry, family medicine, or dermatology?

-Other tips would be GREATLY appreciated, too.

Thanks

Don't get a job in something just because it's the first job you get. Wait for a good offer and what you want. If you're not sure what you want to do down the road, get a job in FM/IM/EM. I got a job in ortho straight out of school because I know I'll be in a surgical specialty the rest of my life (probably will stay within ortho).

your first job is about learning your trade. agree with Abe above. something broad like fp, uc, or em if you like outpt stuff or a specialty of surgery if you like surgery. your first job can be great or pigeonhole you into a specialty for the rest of your career. I have a friend who got a urology job right out of school. that was 10 years ago. she hates urology, but can't do anything else at this point. she stopped applying for em per diem jobs after 5 yrs in urology.

Archived