new offer, however now they may rescind it?

hospitalist/internal medicine position with a physician group contracted to nearby hospitals

Offer is 85k with M-F from 8:30 am to 5pm with one weekend per month

75% of the time would be in the hospital- rounding on 15 pts a day (8 hrs) and includes admissions / other 25% would be in the nursing home.

Benefits include health insurance, vision, dental, but would be around a little over 100 dollars per month just for myself.

Vacation is 2 weeks with a week of CME and 1,000 towards CMEs. Three days are paid sick days. 401k is 6% match.  They will NOT pay acls/bls, license renewal or DEA.

I have about a year experience between hospitalist and emergency medicine.  I worked for this company before. I left because as a new grad I was given $72,000 and expected to work one weekend a month ( In this case would do 10 consecutive days) and round on 15-20 people a day and do admissions in 8 hr days.

There is no solicitation within so many miles for a year after the contract is terminated.  Also, the physician can dictate call with no extra compensation.

I enjoyed working with this physician in this group before and he asked me to come onboard again and work for him instead. He stated that I could do 50% nursing home, would get a sign on bonus and an incentive pay of 5-10k and I could do four tens in the hospital instead. However, NONE of this was in the contract. I was sent a contract above with details listed above and told to sign and send back.   I emailed the girl back (who happened to be an admin) and said that this is not what I agreed to and tried to negotiate a higher salary because there was no sign on and bonus which I was told prior.  The physician txted me and said I went "nuclear" and that the email was forwarded to the CEO and senior partners and that I went "above him and everything is negotiated."  Well, how am I suppose to negotiate when I was told to sign a contract and return? He told me that he was too busy to look at the contract and that I should have went to him first. He told the sign on bonus and incentive pay would be in a different agreement.

Is this very shady behavior?  I am wondering if they were trying to lock me in a legal binding agreement hoping I wouldn't read it?  Not sure what to do now.  He makes it sound like my offer will be rescinded.  However, I was not nasty in anyway and was just trying to point out that the contract was different from what I was told.  I am new to negotiating so advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

shit pay PLUS no money for your required work licensing? = even shittier pay and no respect for you. Run, don't walk, from that shizz!!

Just tell them your circumstances changed unexpectedly and you're considering other options at this time, thanks but no thanks. If the doc pushes back, be up front with him and tell him, 'look, I'm being reasonable with my questions and you guys are acting like I'm not, and if this is the way the interaction is already and it's not even my first day of work, I feel like I'm better off considering my other options.' - imo. that's what I'd say, anyway.

Holy crap, don't even let these jackasses take up one more second of your time.  They are playing you for a complete idiot.  Yeah, I got your "oh, that will be in a separate agreement later after you sign a different contract" right HERE.

I agree - shady as hell PLUS south florida bad.  Next!

• 4 weeks later...

I worked for this company before. I left because as a new grad I was given $72,000 and expected to work one weekend a month ( In this case would do 10 consecutive days) and round on 15-20 people a day and do admissions in 8 hr days.

Also, the physician can dictate call with no extra compensation.

I enjoyed working with this physician in this group before and he asked me to come onboard again and work for him instead. He stated that I could do 50% nursing home, would get a sign on bonus and an incentive pay of 5-10k and I could do four tens in the hospital instead. However, NONE of this was in the contract. I was sent a contract above with details listed above and told to sign and send back.  

The physician txted me and said I went "nuclear" ... He told me that he was too busy to look at the contract and that I should have went to him first. He told the sign on bonus and incentive pay would be in a different agreement.

I'm not sure why you would want to work with someone like that. Someone "too busy" to look at your contract, who would say you went "nuclear" for asking simple questions in a presumably professional manner, could dictate your call, and would have you sign some mysterious second agreement outlining bonuses? Also, the pay seems low for someone with a year of experience. Please respectfully decline and move on. You will be doing yourself a disservice by continuing to be used and abused by this physician/group. You left for a reason. Don't go back.

Archived