PANRE focused exam Primary care or Adult medicine???

I am in my 6th year, taking PANRE for first time  this year. I am not sure which focused exam to pick. I work in an outpatient Internal medicine office, with no pediatric population. However I have no experience with inpatient/hospitalist part.     I am not sure if one test is more difficult or so. 

Which one is a better choice of both? 

Thank you  

Good Luck!

I took my first PANRE in November.  I work in GYN and came from a family medicine background, so I chose the primary care exam.  Pediatrics was definitely well represented on that exam, from infectious disease, to fractures, to immunization schedules, to anticipatory guidance.  Inpatient medicine was represented as well (which I have never done), but thankfully, I passed with a margin.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just starting to study for the PANRE like this month. I work in Physical Med/ Ortho and Urgent Care with some Primary Care Experience. I'm using the Davis Book, PANCE Prep and Pearls and the Reg Comp Review for P.As book. Debating on if I should drop the cash for CME Review course and take the Pre-Test on NCCPA website. Anyone that has passed have any prep advice or test tips  let me know. Thank you

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Took the PANRE a few weeks ago and PASSED (THANK GOD). I know a few other P.As that have taken the test ( passed as well) and we all came to the same  conclusion. The PANRE Adult Medicine / Primary Care Exam is about 30-40% Peds. Don't waste your time studying immunizations because none of us got any questions regarding them. Know your Cardio, Pulmonary and G.I like its air and STUDY PEDS!!!

What was very helpful for me was the Davis Book ( do the questions in the book and on the CD, double check the antibiotics). I swear a few of the questions were very similar and reading the explanations a few times was extremely helpful in answering the questions. 

Also the PANCE/PANRE Pearls and Listening to Brian Wallace's Podcast. If you can, get Brian Wallace's Final Step package as well. 

Don't bother paying for the practice test from the NCCPA site. It was a total waste. 

DO QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS!!!!! 

On the exam answer EVERY question. Don't spend alot of time on question where you have no clue. Guess and move on. 

Last. You will feel like you failed, this seems to be the norm. It takes about 7+ business days to get the results and whatever you do, DO NOT check your review material after the exam trying to figure out what you got correct or incorrect. It will drive you insane and cause instant depression. Remember you worked hard, you deserve it, you earned it!!! 

Good Luck all and Congrats to those that passed. 

Gemini: I just finished applying to TAKE the PANRE thru NCCPA. On the 3 choices, it had Primary Care, Adult  and Surgical as my choices. I chose Adult since I have been at IM practice the last 3 years. Hopefully there will be no peds on this one. Thanks for the input. I will look up the Davis Book. will try to get Brian wallace's podcast and Pearls.

This will be my 4th time to take it but I still have test anxiety... bummer.

On 2/8/2017 at 10:18 PM, Noreaster said:

The adult medicine and family care is the same PANRE actually, with a difference.

Here's the only difference:

For the adult medicine, NCCPA takes a PANRE (family care PANRE) exam and selects 40% of the peds questions and replace them with adult questions. That's it.

Can I omit studying the peds section completely or are there still a percentage of peds questions??

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Ellee:

I honestly do not know anyone whom took the Surgical PANRE. As for anxiety ,I have it as well. Took the PANCE twice because of it. I also have a friend who took the PANCE 3 times also due to anxiety and passed on the 4th try. I believe they went on a Beta Blocker to help. Not suggesting medications at all but do what you need to  do to just relax once you get in there. 

My method was this. I stopped reading 2 weeks before the and exam and used something with just key points like whats included in Brian Wallaces material.  Ex Bacterial Vaginosis = Clue Cells tx Metronidazole. Do not try to memorize everything because it is nearly impossible. Know what you know and just do question after question after question. 

During the actual test READ the questions completely. Either you will immediately know the answer, you can eliminate answers or you have no clue. If you have no clue do not waste your time, guess and move on. If you get a few question where you have no clue DO NOT WORRY OR FREAK OUT.  My understanding is some of the questions are test questions. So if you get a zebra or something makes you say WTF to yourself it may be a test question so don't stress out. Don't get me wrong I had a few Zebra's such as Takotsubo's cardiomyopathy but at the end of the day know the main topics like the back of your hand. 

Coming from someone who also suffers from test anxiety I know it's easier said than done to tell you to simply relax. But that's what you have to do once you sit down in that seat and the test begins. You will be ok and remember, you do not need to get every question correct. YOU GOT THIS!!

Archived