Prerequisite Classes Later in Life

Hey everyone, 

I have been working in the medical field as a medical secretary for some years now and am looking to go back to school to become a physician's assistant. I have some prerequisite classes that I have to take, and I am curious how people who had to go back to school got those accomplished? I am reading on a lot of the PA school websites that they do not accept community colleges or online classes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advanced. 

I started pursuing prerequisiite courses in preparation for PA school in 1992 when I was 39 and working in medical imaging for almost 15 years.  I already had a couple of degrees, but some of my courses were taken over 10 years earlier and not acccepted.  I was able to apply to PA schools and started in 1995, graduating in 1997.  I worked at least 30-32 hours per week and took classes at a local state university and also at a community college, whatever was available and fit with my work schedule.  Got all 4.0s.  Had great professors (except for one) and enjoyed the experience.

I did ALL of my prerequisites post-bacc at local community colleges (also while working), due to cost and convenience.  Probably half of them (e.g., classes with labs) were online or hybrid classes that afforded the flexibility of not traveling to campus other than for exams in some cases.  None of the programs where I applied, interviewed, and/or was accepted seemed to care.  It was certainly never questioned.  Note:  I already hold a bachelors and masters degrees from a major university, so that could have factored into it.  

P.S.  You can post your question in single forum - you'll get answers - no need to post in multiple forums.  

Community colleges are excellent.  The small classes allow for more interaction with Professors, especially in lab. The fact is that most community college students are former high school slackers who are giving it another try. So, if you are a serious person who shows excellent performance, you will truly standout among the class. You will impress your Professor  if you come to class with answers to questions presented to the class. You can find yourself with a necessary academic reference for PA school.

I went back to community college to "brush up" on the sciences in the early 80's.  Graduated from PA school in 1986 (I was a new grandfather!!!)  Practiced family medicine for 31 years.  Retired 6 months ago.  Bottom line is if you want it......do it!

Everything through community college. This was 2008-2010 ish. Medical terminology online. All while working full time which reimbursed for the classes.

I'm not sure what "PA school websites" you're talking about, but consider broadening your search. Most places (unless things have changed drastically in the 4 years since I graduated) will accept community college courses.

I took all of the pre-requisite courses I needed online through community and technical colleges.  I would call the programs you are interested in to make sure that acceptable so that there are no surprises during application.  Oh, and I'm almost 45 (next month) and got my acceptance yesterday!  You can do this :)

I am reading on a lot of the PA school websites that they do not accept community colleges or online classes. 

I've never heard of this with real, actual, accredited community college classes, either online or in person.  They do of course have to weed out your Trump U and similar classes, also some classes that require an in-person lab.  And some have requirements beyond what CCs can provide (upper level Bio for instance).  But I've never seen or heard of a blanket rejection like that.

After a very brief return to my alma mater, I took the rest of the pre-req classes at my local CC system, both online and in person.  It never came up and I interviewed at a couple of top schools.  

Archived