The Front Range of Colorado is a fast growing area.  There are a lot of people looking for jobs and wanting to live there.  The job market reflects this.  Colorado has what's called the "Mountain Effect" (or similar derivative... I've heard it called variations of that by different people).  For many employers living in Colorado with the mountains nearby is considered part of your benefits package. 

My n=1 first hand experience with trying to move back to, and get a job in, CO (although I have heard similar experiences from others) is that jobs are competitive and compensation is not great.  I've had a couple offers from places in CO and had to turn each offer down.  I couldn't afford to live off what they were offering (significant pay cut, buy my own health insurance off the marketplace, no PTO etc...).  I actually had a potential employer point to the mountains outside the window during compensation negotiations and say, "But... mountains!" and was totally serious about it.

haha so same thing here with South Florida and the beach/water. too bad those do not pay my bills

• Upvote 1

Colorado / Denver is on my list. anyone practicing there? When i visited my friend who is an xray tech there said that pay is a bit rough due to everyone now moving out there

I can't speak to working as a PA out there, but several years ago when I was applying out there for another healthcare job I ran into a lot of problems as an out of state applicant.  From what I gathered, at least the hospital systems I was applying to, gave preference to local applicants (every single application asked how many years I had been a CO resident).  Often I would eventually receive a call but months to a year later when I had already accepted other jobs.

It was noticeable compared to the many other out of state locations I was applying to that were much more willing to at least call and/or phone interview if they considered me competitive based on my skills.

Family practice clinic, M-F 9-5, no weekends, no call. I like clinic and I'm in it for the lifestyle as everyone in my life also works "banker hours"

New grad year 1: 87.5k + 5k a few per diem urgent care shifts

Year 2: raise to 95 + 10k from urgent care

Year 3: raise to 100 + 12k from urgent care

• Upvote 1

2 years out. I work in NYC.

First job was in Primary Care. 5days/wk + 1 sat/month, no real benefits (no medical, 2 weeks vaca/yr) made $85,000 in 2015

Second Job in ER FT, 36 hrs/wk (12 shifts/month), very good benefits. Made $114,000 in 2016 (base is 105k, all the rest are from paid training and only 3 extra shifts that year). 

I feel blessed to be working only 3 days/week. I value my time off very much. I have been thinking of second job, but now that my GF left me, I see no reason to get another job. No wedding or ring to spend $$ on. I live with parent so I am maxing out on loan/debt payments. hopefully 4 years out I will be financially free. Get an apt and a loyal friend...a dog.

one common thread is that we are all blessed.  

I wish to be as blessed as you guys soon.

• 3 years later...
On 1/10/2017 at 6:47 PM, Katera said:

Life is very very very short.  Even if you live a full life...it's short.  Remember your time on this planet is really the only thing that you have of value that you can control.  Spend that time wisely. 

This is true but not that simple if your expectations are to make great money (I.e 200k or more pretax).