So I'm proud of myself considering where I started and want to get feedback from others as you look at your taxable income for 2016. I work EM full time and made 126k working about 15-16/shifts a month (9 hours) and then did 1-2 shifts a month at a cardiology side job and made about $14k. I made less than this in 2015 when I had a baby but in 2014 made around $143k for the year. I graduated in 2009 and have had two full time jobs so far (each about three years) and always a part time job.

My first job was salary at 75k a year then I did some side stuff. My second and third years out I worked stupid hours and tons of extra.

I know some people post about how PAs can make 200-250k so I'm curious where/how that happened. I don't want to become complacent while on the other hand I want to say HELL YEAH!

Do you mind sharing your journey from new grad to now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still a student but have worked with PAs who made over $200K. Most of them were 1099 EM PAs and worked like 18-21 shifts a month. Another was in derm and had a really good bonus structure where they almost made more on bonus then their salary.

Congrats though! I hope a couple years out of school I can be making close to that.

• Upvote 2

first pa job 1996 made 70 k doing urgent care/fast track

1998 moved to community ER made 90k

2001 started picking up extra shifts at several other local ERs , made 120k

2001-2015 diversified and started working more rural shifts in addition to per diem jobs at level 1 and 2 trauma ctrs. gradually increased to 150k while working at 6 sites. often worked 180-220 hrs/mo. sometimes as much as 240.

full time rural now between 3 sites. made 170k in 2016, expect to make more this year working 168 hrs/mo as 10 twelve hr shifts and 2 twenty four shifts/mo.

200k is achievable as a PA in em, but involves working lots of overtime. one of my partners makes north of 250k, but is basically working 2 full time jobs and only has a few days off each month. I always have had 1 full time job for benefits and several per diems as backup. I just transitioned to a series of rural EDs where I see low volume , but very high acuity. I am much happier working less, seeing sicker pts, and making the same or better money than when I worked all the time. my driving time has doubled though. feels like I am always in the car. in a few years I hope to be the full time guy at my favorite rural site and only working 8 or so days/mo for the same money I am making now working 12. worked a 24 there yesterday. 12 pts in 24 hrs. solo coverage.

• Upvote 2

I'm a student, but with a lot of life experience. That's a nice salary progression. I would be very satisfied to achieve and maintain that, but I live pretty cheap.

I used to drive out to school to W. PA several times a year from NH. Not too bad. About 12 hrs. I go to school in Indiana now. 14 hrs. That last 2 hours make it seem twice as long, especially now that I am older. I can only imagine how bad it would be if they were taxed at 28-33% + state IT;) Just saying. But if you can do it working the same hours and in an equally satisfying situation sounds good.

I know it is done but I think some of those stories are apocryphal. Maybe someone hit that level one pay period or month and decided it sounded nice to say they made that. I knew a PA who worked in MD who I had heard made 220. Now I see he has taken a job in NYC. He must have gotten an even better offer or maybe he just likes being a PA in NYC... I am outside of my AO on this, but I do know how people are pretty well.

Let us know if you figure it out!

first pa job 1996 made 70 k doing urgent care/fast track

1998 moved to community ER made 90k

2001 started picking up extra shifts at several other local ERs , made 120k

2001-2015 diversified and started working more rural shifts in addition to per diem jobs at level 1 and 2 trauma ctrs. gradually increased to 150k while working at 6 sites. often worked 180-220 hrs/mo. sometimes as much as 240.

full time rural now between 3 sites. made 170k in 2016, expect to make more this year working 168 hrs/mo as 10 twelve hr shifts and 2 twenty four shifts/mo.

200k is achievable as a PA in em, but involves working lots of overtime. one of my partners makes north of 250k, but is basically working 2 full time jobs and only has a few days off each month. I always have had 1 full time job for benefits and several per diems as backup. I just transitioned to a series of rural EDs where I see low volume , but very high acuity. I am much happier working less, seeing sicker pts, and making the same or better money than when I worked all the time. my driving time has doubled though. feels like I am always in the car. in a few years I hope to be the full time guy at my favorite rural site and only working 8 or so days/mo for the same money I am making now working 12. worked a 24 there yesterday. 12 pts in 24 hrs. solo coverage.

Nice! You've built a nice situation for yourself!

Nice! You've built a nice situation for yourself!

the first 2 years were a good introduction to medicine. the next ten or so were tough. lots of push back about expanding scope, etc. Rural, solo coverage is the way to go. no one ever second guesses my calls. there is a small hospitalist group and I know all the docs on a first name basis and they defer to me for really sick patients/procedures. I did 20 years of high volume EM work doing mostly low to medium acuity. I am not willing to do that anymore. If I had to go back to full time fast track or urgent care I would probably stop working clinically and work in govt service for the state dept or peace corps or teach full time. my days of 30+ pts/12 hrs are over if I have anything to say about it.

• Upvote 2

the first 2 years were a good introduction to medicine. the next ten or so were tough. lots of push back about expanding scope, etc. Rural, solo coverage is the way to go. no one ever second guesses my calls. there is a small hospitalist group and I know all the docs on a first name basis and they defer to me for really sick patients/procedures. I did 20 years of high volume EM work doing mostly low to medium acuity. I am not willing to do that anymore. If I had to go back to full time fast track or urgent care I would probably stop working clinically and work in govt service for the state dept or peace corps or teach full time. my days of 30+ pts/12 hrs are over if I have anything to say about it.

Maybe one day I can get there. Still early in my career so who knows?

who sees the rest of the common ER BS that comes through the door. It is hard to imagine a rural hospital with 12 its in 24 all of them being stroke/trauma or true cardiac emergencies. What happens with grandmas with "I'm no feeling myself tonight"

who sees the rest of the common ER BS that comes through the door. It is hard to imagine a rural hospital with 12 its in 24 all of them being stroke/trauma or true cardiac emergencies. What happens with grandmas with "I'm no feeling myself tonight"

Those are probably the grandmothers that are having the very large MI....

• Upvote 1

Maybe in the rural areas people actually use the ER for true emergencies. Where I work, not so much. It's so dumb.

• Upvote 2

Work in a surgical subspecialty of a specialty

This past year I made $190k.

I have been in this field for more then 15 years.

Started as a new grad in 2002 at $56k

2-3 years later I was at $85k with health system competitive market raises

Made 1 job change at year 5 and negotiate to $100k

Hard work and making sure that my operating skills were second to none when compared to other PAs or fellows we train allowed for maximum salary increases over 8 years to get to around $155k

Ask to joined the doctor call schedule to "help out" allowed me to negotiate same call pay rate as physicians, which bumped my salary now to $190k

I work M-F 8-5 (normally 45hrs/week) plus 1 weekend of call and rounding + 5 weeknights of call per month

• Upvote 3

Work in a surgical subspecialty of a specialty

This past year I made $190k.

I have been in this field for more then 15 years.

Started as a new grad in 2002 at $56k

2-3 years later I was at $85k with health system competitive market raises

Made 1 job change at year 5 and negotiate to $100k

Hard work and making sure that my operating skills were second to none when compared to other PAs or fellows we train allowed for maximum salary increases over 8 years to get to around $155k

Ask to joined the doctor call schedule to "help out" allowed me to negotiate same call pay rate as physicians, which bumped my salary now to $190k

I work M-F 8-5 (normally 45hrs/week) plus 1 weekend of call and rounding + 5 weeknights of call per month

That is awesome! Thank you for sharing your experience

Grad about 2002

first job 5 years - left after no raise over 75k

Various jobs - highest of which wa 125k (er working my butt off)

Returned to primary care in 2012 as that was my love

Hired for a local correctional facility, state employee, help run the department with the DON and manager

20 clinical hours a week, hourly, full bennies, and a PENSION

120k/year

feels like I am finally paid fairly, and respected for what I bring to the table....

• Upvote 1

Lest anyone forget, life is not all about money.  "Please help me not to be so busy making a living.....I forget to make a life!"  Just sayin'.

Now "life" could be a wife, kids, hobbies, friends.  Just not possible to work all those hours, sleep and have a life unless you figured out how to get more than 24 hours in a day.

• Upvote 5

Lest anyone forget, life is not all about money.  "Please help me not to be so busy making a living.....I forget to make a life!"  Just sayin'.

Now "life" could be a wife, kids, hobbies, friends.  Just not possible to work all those hours, sleep and have a life unless you figured out how to get more than 24 hours in a day.

A push toward a 32 hr work week would be ideal! Fat chance in this country, but I dream of the day...

• Upvote 1

Agreed.   I currently work 12, 8 hour shifts per month in ED.  Make just around 100k.  Could easily pick up extra shifts (which I do occasionally if we have a big purchase coming up) or second job altogether and make substantially more but I choose not to.  Everyone has to sort out their own definition of fulfillment and happiness.   For me, it is having plenty of free time away from work.  I am in the process of setting up a non medical side-hustle which has been fun and keeps the creative juices flowing.  ~18 days off per month also allows me to occasionally coach in a sport I have a strong connection with.    To be honest I can't imaging working some of the above schedules.  I just wouldn't do it.  Not even for 200k.  Life is just too short and modern medicine, well, I don't have to tell you folks...  but, to each their own!

• Upvote 1

Lest anyone forget, life is not all about money. "Please help me not to be so busy making a living.....I forget to make a life!" Just sayin'.

Now "life" could be a wife, kids, hobbies, friends. Just not possible to work all those hours, sleep and have a life unless you figured out how to get more than 24 hours in a day.

So true. My first job I worked so many hours and only could make good money never being off. Now with experience and getting paid more appropriately I have time with my 20 month old and life has more of a balance. Work smarter not harder right? It's not all about the money but part of it is. I think if we keep the conversation open hopefully we can be paid better and take off more. Thanks for the reminder!

• Upvote 2

the hospital is not on any busline or easily accessible and most folks in this community have a local pcp, so they tend to only show up in the ER after hours or if they are pretty sick. Local EMS brings us at least 10% of our census.

maybe 10% silly complaints vs 80+ % at prior jobs. also it is an older population and it's hard not to take an 85-90 yr old Korean war vet seriously when they say " I can't remember a time when I've ever been this sick before".

i'm interested in anyone 9-5 clincal outpatient schedules (no OR or in patient hospitalist settings) pay structure

I work 9-6 M-F with every other Wednesday off. No call, no weekends. I'm at 100k with 2 guaranteed automatic raises per year thanks to the union. It's about a $3.50 per hour increase per year. I think our pay structure tops out at about 145k for full time.

• Upvote 1

Money isn't everything and I will tout that loudly.

However, working one's butt off for less than market isn't smart either.

I am currently doing 4 days a week in FP and making below market and nowhere near what I should for 25 yrs and how much I bill. Big problem is our office manager - see other threads. She uses some interesting accounting. Says I am billing out HALF of what I billed out 15 yrs ago in FP. Just not possible. I have my old reconciliations from years ago and cannot find the point where reimbursement went down THAT much.  Worse, I think he is missing out on the money too - so she is just wasting it or not billing it out right. I don't feel ripped off as in he is taking home a bigger chunk - I think he is getting screwed too. 

I have no control and can't convince the doc to get an outside auditor. Something is rotten in Denmark though.

So, I am looking at other options with better pay and better benefits to keep my family afloat and perhaps not kill me at the same time. 

ZERO desire or ability to work 60 hrs a week and stay married, raise kids or actually LIVE life. 

So work to live, not live to work. But don't work cheap or stupid. 

• Upvote 2

Everyone makes excellent points and I state my situation not to boast.

My wife is a PA as well and we have a family

We decided it makes more sense for us to have me work more in my current situation to allow my wife to work part-time.

But that works for us.

I tell my wife that at some future point in time, I will not be able to keep up with my current schedule.

My goal is to be at a financial standpoint that I can easily cut back on my hours and keep our current lifestyle (which is still very frugal).

But again, that works for us; I would not expect it to work the exact same for others.

What I tell all of our PA students that cycle through to us is:

Choose a field of medicine that makes you excited about coming to work

For the first 3-5 years, work as hard as you can, learn as much as you can, and become the best practitioner you can in that field

Don't expect your pay to be at the top of that field - in your early years, your experience and what you learn will be more valuable in the long run

Eventually, your value is based on the ability of the practice to replace you or their inability if you become so strong that paying you more is worth more to the practice then replacing you.

Just my $0.02

• Upvote 4

the more i progress in the field though the more i realize the only way to move up the career ladder $ wise is to go into some form of management.  You can make excellent money as a PA (see EM and inpatient setting/some OR jobs) but they come with quality of life issues and or medical legal liability increase . EM can hit 200k but at what cost of time . The only clinically lucrative specialties seem to be Derm related and that only seems to occur if you get lucky with bonus or incentive based structures.

i do see myself moving away from clinical medicine and more into a administration role in the future because of the pay ceiling 

My institution now maxes out at $130k for clinical PAs which to me is a joke