When to take the GRE!

The best time would be when you're ready.  It will take about 2 weeks to get your official GRE scores after taking the test. Once it's sent to schools, it will take another few days for the schools to process it. So you could theoretically take it about 3 weeks before finishing your applications. That way, the school will have everything when you submit. You can take it close to the time of application or even after you start the application but the schools will unlikely look at your application after submitting until official GRE scores are in. 

I took my second GRE in May last year after studying for a few months and had the goal of submitting my CASPA in early June. It all got done and I improved my GRE score significantly like I'd hoped, but it was really stupid timing on my end attempting to do all of this while working 80-hour weeks. I'd recommend taking it before the CASPA cycle opens in April if you plan to submit early (or at least a month or two before you plan to submit), take one thing at a time. CASPA is a beast by itself and then supplemental applications come next, so don't cram it all in one month like I did. On the bright side, I was very well-refreshed on my vocabulary and writing skills so it helped in writing my personal statement and supplemental essays, but don't do what I did haha

Archived