Certifications

Hey everybody, need some advice regarding certifications? I currently have my EMT-B license, and accumulated about 1400 hours thus far. By the next application cycle around may, I'm anticipating around 1800 hrs. I was considering getting my EKG/phlebotomy certification, because it happens to work great with my school schedule and it'll only take a month to complete. That being said, I will most likely not be getting any health care hours from those jobs come application time. So ultimately all I will be doing is adding two extra certifications on my resume with no experience. Obviously it can't hurt me, but what Im wondering is if it's even necessary? Will schools think much of that if i haven't worked at all with those certifications? Or would it be a waste of time/money? I figured it's just two extra things to add to my resume. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Honestly, from all that I've researched if you have a cert that's great but if it's not used it's not going to mean anything. Also, being EKG/phlebotomy certified won't make you stand out or give you any better chance at being accepted but it may help when you're doing ekg work and drawing blood at PA school and in clinicals. I'm not a PA but I've done a lot of research, so take that for what it's worth. I'm starting my EMT-B on Wednesday so I'll be in the same boat as you. 

​I have a piggyback question to your question.  Several "Tech ER" and "Monitor Tech" job postings and even the ACLS class need a "basic cardiac arrythmia course".  Googling it and looking at the American Heart Association website, AHA has a "Learn: Rythm Adult" online course.  Is this the correct course?  AHA website does not have the exact wording, and I have not been able to reach anyone on the phone this holiday weekend to ask.  link is onlineaha org courses 17  www.onlineaha.org/courses/17

​Edit:  finally reached someone at AHA.  they said the ACLS class doesn't have a specific prerequisite, but the Learn Rythm Adult is ok to take the test before they'll allow you to register.  I suppose i'll just have to take the Learn Rythm Adult and the subsequent ACLS class so I can apply to these job postings.

Archived