international rotation

Had a question for anyone that is currently in their 2nd year or for anyone in the field of orthopedics. My school is offering a rotation in England with a concentration in orthopedics. I am very interested in going but I am wondering how employers will look at this. As of now, I'm thinking i want to go into ortho after graduation but am worried that an employer will wonder why I did an ortho rotation somewhere other than the US. Would anyone be able to share some insight or their opinion? I would really appreciate it. 

Thanks

let's be honest here- an overseas/international rotation for the vast majority of people is more about the travel than the learning experience. if you go to the UK, your training should be equivalent to a US rotation. if you go to Brazil, probably not. travel has a value of course, espcially if you are looking at underserved medicine, public health, etc but for a technical field probably best to get state of the art training in the US.

Do you get multiple elective rotations?  If so, can you do ortho overseas as well as in the US?  That might suffice.  

But if ortho is the field you want to go into, train in the US.  If you want/can do an alternate rotation overseas go for it.  

Personally I find international rotations.....a bad idea.  Unless for some reason you absolutely KNOW you will be trying to work out of the country (spouse job requirements and the like) you're better off training here and taking a nice vacation after school/PANCE before you start working.

I do get multiple elective rotations and the international one would be in this category. So I would potentially be able to do an ortho rotation in the US and in England. I am not in any situation like that but I just thought it would be interesting to experience medicine in a different country. Maybe I'll just reconsider this idea based on the responses I am getting.

I do get multiple elective rotations and the international one would be in this category. So I would potentially be able to do an ortho rotation in the US and in England. I am not in any situation like that but I just thought it would be interesting to experience medicine in a different country. Maybe I'll just reconsider this idea based on the responses I am getting.

or volunteer overseas once you are done...

It's a nice idea, to see how medicine works in other countries, but when the PA education is quick and brief, there isn't really time to forgo a 'real' rotation that will directly relate to your knowledge of practicing medicine in the US.  At least, that's my opinion.

I have waiverd a lot on the idea of doing an international rotation myself, for the aforementioned reasons.   I initially was disappointed my school didn't have any well developed international rotations, but after looking at all the possible local rotations I could do, my opinion changed.  I will always be able to volunteer abroad, but how often can you go spend 5 weeks in a specific specialty, just learning?  Also, rotations are excellent networking opportunities for future jobs.   That said, my opinion recently changed again after I was offered an amazing opportunity to partake a rotation typically only offered to senior residents and fellows with a special focus on a sector of international development specific to my interests and pervious experience (still waiting to see if it will all go through, fingers crossed!)   An international rotation is a very personal decision, and I don't think either one would be the *wrong* choice.    

Some things I would consider: How many electives does your school offer?   Are you able to do the American ortho rotation first, to see if you indeed like the field?  Are there other electives you're really interested in you'd be giving up to do the international rotation?  

Archived