Do I have a chance?

I'm relatively new to this forum and like some honest feedback. I will receive my Bachelors degree in Biological Sciences with a Pre-PA focus to get the necessary courses for some programs in the Spring. I will graduate with about a 3.1-3.2 GPA and a Science GPA of about the same. I understand I need HCE paid and unpaid and plan to accomplish that by gaining certification as an EMT. I think 2+ years as a EMT-Basic would fulfill that need with the addition of shadowing a PA as well as a MD. Also, I will need a good GRE score depending on the program. What are my chances with my low GPA and experience as an EMT i hope to obtain in the following years? Am I missing any opportunities I can use to strengthen my application to these schools? Thank you for the input and your time. 

The average GPA for matriculants is in the 3.5 range. Hours of experience averages around 1500. Full time EMT would put you above that limit. But, the quality of experience would be higher as an EMT-P. So, below average GPA, potentially average to above average experience that would be adequate.

Get a strong GRE and an excellent personal statement. Consider taking EMT at a community college for more point towards the GPA (and do excellent). You should get some interviews in a year or two.

If you're planning on working for 2 years before applying, take some classes to raise your GPA.  Start researching schools.  2 years of HCE and 3.2 GPA is just a very average application.  Can you get in?  Maybe.  But the stars would likely need to align perfectly.  You won't be a shoe-in by any means.

Archived