I am really wrestling with if I even should apply to PA school.

I am currently a senior at Boise State University and will graduate in the spring of 2017 with my Bachelors in Health Science however I have taken all of my pre reqs to make sure I qualify to apply to PA school. 

I recently took a job as the Community Health Coordinator at a local free and charitable clinic and have really been enjoying my job there. After I graduate I will be sticking around and working there for a couple of years before applying  However, this seems to be more of a public health type position and have really enjoyed my work there. The more I learn about the field of Community Health the more I enjoy it. 

Right now I have a 3.3 cumulative GPA and will be taking the GRE this summer. I have a year experience working in the MRI department of a local hospital as the MRI tech assistant and then will have 3 years experience working as the Community Health Coordinator. I know that at some point in my career I would like to work in public health and work in community health, health policy, or community development. I have really learned a lot about how much social determinants of health, the built environment, and health delivery systems can affect patients health.

I am trying to decide if I should apply to PA school and later on get my DrPH, or get PA-C/MPH now, or get a dual degree MPH and Master's in Community Regional Planning, or just get my MPH? I am really looking for any and all advice from others with more experience than myself.

Honestly, based on what you've said here, go for the MPH.  It doesn't sound like you need the PA skill set to do what you want to do, so why spend the time and money on it?

You can likely work on your MPH while working at the community health center which greatly reduces the financial burden.

Archived