Urgent care offer - input needed

Hello everyone,

I was recently offered a position with an Urgent Care. Hoping I may get some advice regarding my salary.

Here is the offer:

• Salary $92,000 annually for the term of the contract (5 year contract/40 hour work week)
  • Potential for bonus based on WRVUs - the more I work the more likely I am to get the bonus
  • Loan repayment every year as long as I work for the hospital and after my loans are paid off this will roll into my base salary (my loans will not be paid off for 10+ years, I just graduated in August) - amount is much better than what I am offered at my current position
  • CME, medical, dental, vision, malpractice + tail coverage for 2 years, 401k, 457b, reimbursement for licenses and professional organizations, 4 weeks paid time off - increases to 5 weeks after one year
  • $5000 sign-on bonus
  • Relocation assistance

I am happy with all of the terms of the contract except for the fact that I will not receive an increase in my salary for the 5 year length of the contract. I did request an annual increase of my salary, but the hospital did not want to agree on these terms. I am not sure I can work somewhere for 5 years without any increase in pay. I am hoping to get some suggestions on how to address this since this is only the second contract I have negotiated in my short PA career. I am considering letting them know this is an important aspect of the contract for me and I want to have the opportunity to increase my pay over the 5 year period - whether it be an automatic percentage increase in pay at years 2 and 4, or the opportunity to re-negotiate my salary at years 2 and 4 or even one chance halfway through my contract.

Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

5 years is insane. Potential RVU?? I would never go for a contract that long. The sign on bonus is nice. The rest seems pretty standard. Did they give you a dollar amount/time off for CME? The length of the contract would be the deal breaker for me. If they couldn't make it shorter, or have a step increase of some sort I would have to respectfully decline. Is the hospital a teaching hospital? That might make it more desirable as a new grad.

Thank you for the reply. I thought that 5 years was a little crazy too without any increase in pay. There is a potential for WRVUs but I would have to put in a lot of hours to obtain the bonus, so I don't want to count on that for additional income. Not a teaching hospital, it is small and rural.

I am going to negotiate for a 1 year contract, if that is a no go then I may have to respectfully decline as you mentioned.

Hello everyone,

I was recently offered a position with an Urgent Care. Hoping I may get some advice regarding my salary.

Here is the offer:

• Salary $92,000 annually for the term of the contract (5 year contract/40 hour work week)   WHAT????????????? 5 YEARS - HECK NO MARRIAGES, HOMES, AND CARS SOMETIMES DON'T LAST THAT LONG!!  Also unless a 9-5 or 8-4 would not sign on for 4o ours - think 36
  • Potential for bonus based on WRVUs - the more I work the more likely I am to get the bonus  MUST GET THIS IN WRITING WITH FULL DETAILS AND FULL ACCESS TO BILLING.COLLECTIONS
  • Loan repayment every year as long as I work for the hospital and after my loans are paid off this will roll into my base salary (my loans will not be paid off for 10+ years, I just graduated in August) - amount is much better than what I am offered at my current position IN WRITING 
  • CME, medical, dental, vision, malpractice + tail coverage for 2 years, 401k, 457b, reimbursement for licenses and professional organizations, 4 weeks paid time off - increases to 5 weeks after one year
  • $5000 sign-on bonus
  • Relocation assistance

I am happy with all of the terms of the contract except for the fact that I will not receive an increase in my salary for the 5 year length of the contract. I did request an annual increase of my salary, but the hospital did not want to agree on these terms. I am not sure I can work somewhere for 5 years without any increase in pay. I am hoping to get some suggestions on how to address this since this is only the second contract I have negotiated in my short PA career. I am considering letting them know this is an important aspect of the contract for me and I want to have the opportunity to increase my pay over the 5 year period - whether it be an automatic percentage increase in pay at years 2 and 4, or the opportunity to re-negotiate my salary at years 2 and 4 or even one chance halfway through my contract.

Salary is an issues

are you a new grad?

Typically your salary climbs pretty quick

As for 5 year term - no way - would not even consider it 

yearly reviews are the norm

Need CME of $2500-4000 to be spent as you see fit

4 weeks VACATION

1 week CME

10+ holiday days

2 Weeks sick personal

PTO should be in the 8+ weeks per year

Hello everyone,

Here is the offer:

• Salary $92,000 annually for the term of the contract (5 year contract/40 hour work week)
  • Potential for bonus based on WRVUs - the more I work the more likely I am to get the bonus
  • Loan repayment every year as long as I work for the hospital and after my loans are paid off this will roll into my base salary (my loans will not be paid off for 10+ years, I just graduated in August) - amount is much better than what I am offered at my current position
  • $5000 sign-on bonus
  • Relocation assistance

The AAPA report being what it is, look at the difference between a 0-1 year UC PA and a 5 year UC PA.

Secondly, under what circumstances can you break the contract, and what are the penalties for doing so?

what's with all these 5 yrs contracts? anything more than 2 is a stretch. I'd say NO to this offer if they don't want to play ball.

You're a new grad. accepting this offer when you have no idea what you really want to be doing is suicide. You'll be coming back here writing about how much you hate life, but we won't be able to help much friend.If you don't like it there (which you will within 2 yrs) you're stuck!

Loan repayment programs are 2 year contracts (renewable i believe?). why do they want to lock you in for 5 is beyond me. I may be wrong, for a facility to be qualified for the loan repayment program, it has to be in an undeserved community. are you going to want to stay for 3 more yrs? (noting wrong with that, but if you're not getting good pay why the hell stay?)

Thou I am not participating in loan repayment, I received 5 raises already this year (11K total) and this is my FIRST YEAR!!!

"CME, medical, dental, vision, malpractice + tail coverage for 2 years"  What happens after 2 yrs?

Salary is an issues

are you a new grad?

Typically your salary climbs pretty quick

As for 5 year term - no way - would not even consider it 

yearly reviews are the norm

Need CME of $2500-4000 to be spent as you see fit

4 weeks VACATION

1 week CME

10+ holiday days

2 Weeks sick personal

PTO should be in the 8+ weeks per year

I am right on board with this, but I have never seen this much CME/PTO with a contract. I think there are so many people accepting sub par benefits that we are diluting out our own stock. It is unfortunate because we are way unpaid compared to what we generate financially and the benefit structure is in some way the saving grace. 

Archived