What steps can a PA student take (before PANCE) to accelerate the process?

It seems to take the better part of ~3 months for a PA school graduate to begin working. In chatting with recent grads, most mention the "hurry up and wait" feeling regarding paperwork and approvals. I was chatting with a potential employer who asked me if there is anything I can do right now to shrink the post grad-->Pre-employment window. Specifically, can students begin any of the application processes required to register with insurance companies and medicare? This process is something I want to better understand before it is staring me in the face in May. 

thanks!!

Ed

From what I understand is you need your PA state license number for insurance coverage applications. Really the job should have credentialing department that takes care of that stuff for you, at leas at the two jobs I worked for did. I know with my job I passed the PANCE in August and wasn't full credentialed until January. However, my job did allow me to "scribe" for my supervising physician so I can get in the flow of things, that may be a good option if you can swing it. Also, it may help if you get started on the application for you state license so once you get your PANCE scores you can submit it right away.   

I took the PANCE in June and started work in August on a temporary license, since the state board didn't meet until September. DEA requires a license.

If you have a job lined up, talk to the credentialing officer or human resources. If it's a big enough company you won't be the first new grad they've hired.

Archived