Withdrawing from a PA Program

Hello, I unfortunately had to withdraw from my PA program due to failing my clinical medicine class. Will future schools I'll be applying to in the future be able to see this on my academic record, besides for me listing it on my application? How will this affect me in the future? Any advice/help will greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Idk if they can see it (except on a transcript if you submit your PA school info) but it will absolutely affect you.

I have yet to hear of someone leaving a PA program and being re-accepted after reapplying (to their original or a new program).  Why would a program take a chance on someone who has failed already when they could admit a student who potentially has a better chance of success?  

If your current program won't work with you based on their policies (or perhaps they did as much as they could and you still had to leave) you have a long, hard, potentially non-PA road ahead.

Stay and work it out is my advice. Take a year off of whatever you have to do. Students do that all the time and join the next cohort.

With so many bright, shiny faces out there, schools really don't have to take people who may already have had academic problems in PA school.

You can survive this; just be careful.

Good luck!

Unfortunately I am not able to go back to the same program, especially because it is in New York and my hometown is Los Angeles so I'd want to move back.

What do you guys recommend I should do from here? I am not sure what to do from here. Thinking of social work as I have a bachelors in Sociology, but not sure of the job prospects....any advice would help. 

If you have left your program and can't go back in a year, it is unlikely that you will become a PA. Never say "never," but no time soon.

We may be the wrong people to steer you in a new direction because that's what you need to do. Perhaps you can talk to the placement people at your undergraduate school for some ideas.

Best wishes.

I agree that it will be difficukt to get accepted into another pa program. Have you investigated an Entry Level Masters in Nursing program? The shortest route to an NP? There are a couple near to LA. Or perhaps do it the long way? Move back to LA and go to West Coast University....it'll cost ya but they will accept pretty much anyone with pre-reqs. Then maybe an NP program...Azusa Pacific is nearby. All without leaving the support of your family during a stressful time. Just an idea. Check it out.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I really hated to write that msg. I felt like I was inviting you to give up on your dream of being a PA. I hope I am just showing you another route to fulfill your dream of becoming a quality provider. I'd be lying if I said I thought that NP training was equal to that of PAs. I do not. However, I also know that if you acknowledge the deficits in training you are more likely to fill the gaps. I personally know a few NPs who are great providers, not wholly because of their training, but because of who they are and their drive to be proficient. It will take more work on your part but you can still end up as a provider. Don't give up!! I couldn't imagine myself not being in medicine. If that meant being an NP (if I couldn't be a PA) I'd do it. Also consider the time involved in applying to another PA program. You can start nursing at a private school like I mentioned right away. I told myself if i didnt get accepted after the first cycle I would not keep applying to PA schools as I didn't wanna look back 3 yrs later without acceptance when I could have become at least an RN already and on my way to being an NP. I'm sorry to bring these options to you but glad that you still have a non-PA path to your goal.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

If your ultimate goal is to practice medicine, then I say go to NP school.  Apply to nursing school and PA school concurrently; if you are accepted into a PA program, great, if not - that's sad - but hopefully you are accepted into a nursing program.  I wanted to go the PA route but I didn't have the luxury of not working and the NP program is SOOOO much cheaper.  I recognized the short comings of this educational pathway and took measures to offset/neutralize them (I took gross anatomy and medical physiology through the medical school associated with the University, and you can choose to go well above the minimal required clinical hours).  All in all, if you go out of your way, you will graduate as a good provider.  Yes it's more convoluted but you've got to do what you've got to do.  Don't get sucked into a cycle of applying to PA programs and giving up on medicine altogether.  Be pragmatic.  

• 5 weeks later...

Archived