To go now or wait and apply again?

Looking for any insight into my situation:

I applied to 10+ PA programs this cycle, interviewed at 3, have been accepted to 1, and have not heard from about 4 other schools at all yet.

The program I was accepted to just got put on probation

overall GPA: 3.45

Science GPA 3.3 

pre-req GPA : close to 4.0 

Have about 1600 and counting hours as ED scribe

Have about 75 hours shadowing PAs

2,000+ hours working/volunteering at a summer camp for kids with life threatening illnesses

Plus another couple hundred of volunteer hours in other places - mission trips, etc.

GRE very average around 302

***Feeling like waiting to see how these other schools pan out is a better options than jumping on the 1 acceptance b/c of the probation issue.

I feel like If I re-applied I would be accepted once I get more HCE etc. since I have been getting interviews, just worried that my GPA may be dragging me down and I don't want to not get in the second go around when I was accepted the first go around and passed up the opportunity? 

Also not looking to retaking the GRE/more classes, just want to strengthen my app in other ways

Any advice/ insight greatly appreciated?

There is NEVER a guarantee when reapplying.  Personally your app isn't strong enough to take the risk of reapplying....at least if it were me.

You need to find out WHY the program was put on probation.  I've heard of ones that were put on probation due to a clerical problem - easily fixed and the program was ON IT to get it resolved.  There was nothing wrong with how/what they were teaching their students.  Students had no disadvantage.  THAT kind of problem would not make me delay a year.

Is it a problem with didactic and/or clinical education?  That might make me pause.  

If you were accepted at multiple places, you could decide to go to another. Now you have no idea if you will get another acceptance. 

In life, you often don't get to have all the information available when you make a decision. You don't meet all your possible mates before you decide to get married, for example!

The only question you have is are you willing to go to the program that -- thus far -- has admitted you. If there is a significant downside risk to you, then maybe you take your chances this year or next.

You will get to take your boards if your program is on probation when you are accepted. 

Good luck.

I would look at how long the program was accredited before it was placed on probation.

Does it have a good history with high PANCE pass rates and good retention. (The # students graduating is essentially the same size as the # starting the program) 

If you look at the ARCPA website there are many programs which get placed on probation at one time or another. (About 8 or so right now)

If it has historically been a reputable program then they are very likely to resolve the issue which lead to the probation quickly. There would be very little risk to you. 

If it is a relatively new program, or has mediocre PANCE pass rates, or has other probationary periods then I would think there would be more risk to you. 

It is a tough position to be in. 

I recommend you call the school and ask specifically why they are on probation, what is their plan to restore their status and have they ever been on probation before. 

I would look at how long the program was accredited before it was placed on probation.

Does it have a good history with high PANCE pass rates and good retention. (The # students graduating is essentially the same size as the # starting the program) 

If you look at the ARCPA website there are many programs which get placed on probation at one time or another. (About 8 or so right now)

If it has historically been a reputable program then they are very likely to resolve the issue which lead to the probation quickly. There would be very little risk to you. 

If it is a relatively new program, or has mediocre PANCE pass rates, or has other probationary periods then I would think there would be more risk to you. 

It is a tough position to be in. 

I recommend you call the school and ask specifically why they are on probation, what is their plan to restore their status and have they ever been on probation before. 

Not super concerned about anything happening to the program while I'm there. I am semi confident that i will graduate just fine and be able to take the PANCE and they will come off probation but….. 

i am more concerned about applying for jobs and job interviews when I get out of school. And if the question comes up about my attending a program that was on probation for 2 years while i was there

I think the consensus on this forum is that as long as you pass the PANCE no one will care what program you went to. (or that it had a period in which it was on probation) 

If you are confident you can complete the program then I would go. The gamble that you will get other offers is just too risky from my perspective. 

Archived