Choosing between a provisional program vs. an established program

I have been accepted to two schools that are difficult for me to decide between. One school (University of South Florida) is a brand new program, while the other (Nova Southeastern University - Ft. Laud) is an established program. I was hoping if anyone could help me with some insight and advice. 

I attached a chart with some basic information about both programs and under that, I came up with some pros and cons for each program.

post-133467-0-25982300-1480924923_thumb.png

NSU Pros/Cons

Pros:

- Established program with good PANCE rates

- Large faculty/administration (not sure if this is a pro but worth mentioning compared to USF) 

- Mentor/mentee system 

Cons:

- Expensive option (higher tuition and living cost)

- Far from home (4-5 hours away)

- Larger class size 

USF Pros/Cons

Pros:

- Faculty (though not as large as NSU) has teaching experience in other PA programs

- Cheaper option

- Smaller class size 

- Closer to home (30-45 minutes away)

Cons: 

- First class will be the guinea pigs

- No history/PANCE rate

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of the information. Thank you! 

Because this is ultimately your decision, some food for thought:

1. Will living by home help or distract you?

2. Is your ultimate plan after you graduate is to stay by your family?

3. Do you thrive better in a setting that has been set in stone (mostly) or a setting that adapts as you go (first class)?

4. If the classes end up subpar at USF, are you good at self motivation and self learning so you will still pass the PANCE irregardless?

Money can be a huge factor, but also remember you are there to get the best education that YOU can get. Good luck on deciding!

• 1 month later...

Something else to consider: does the newer school have other graduate medical programs that are pretty well-established and if so, are they successful in training students for those professions? I'd imagine that may help give at least a rough idea on how things will fare for the earliest classes if the other programs are thriving in their respective fields.

I didn't apply to developing programs myself but have been a guinea pig in other life settings (brand new high school/brand new college of health sciences when I was in college/new clubs) and can speak to that. One thing with being a "guinea pig" is that the go-getter types who are creative and comfortable working to help the program thrive will get a lot out of it in terms of leadership experience by building the program's reputation/starting student organizations/helping shape the rules or guidelines for future classes to follow, networking (particularly in setting up their own clinical rotations or developing those relationships further), and they get the opportunity to mold the program into the vision they hope to represent as an alum by consistently providing feedback and suggestions that I'd imagine are less welcome in a well-established program. That being said, people who live for structure or who don't want to have to put in extra work to get everything they seek from their education may struggle more with such a blank slate. There will always be growing pains in old and new programs but how you perceive and react to them will be a big factor in your overall experience.

Many of my friends in brand new programs are perfectly happy with their choices and do not feel their education is lacking. I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine! It's a growing field so new programs are everywhere and even the older programs had to get their start at some point!

Archived