There are a lot of missing details in this article. What do you all make of this quote from the patient's son:

"During the 21 days I was there ... I pled with the medical staff, the senior medical staff, to increase his meds so his bandages could be changed," Parker said. "I was met with a stonewall for much of that time."

What I take from that is that there was a legitimate problem which prevented the bandages from being changed, and the son believed that upping the patient's meds could solve that problem. This article leaves too many unanswered questions to really assign blame. News agencies love to leave out exonerating details and let readers mentally fill in more nefarious actions. It makes the story seem more salacious and the article more shareable.

This is hardly worth talking about. Fox News is against the VA (and anything government run.) It's their shtick. So they make dramatic leaps to get viewers worked into a frenzy. The average Fox News viewer doesn't have the education to understand what sepsis means. Fox News viewers hear "guy dies of sepsis at the VA" and they think "hmm...I have a septic tank behind my double wide. That doggone feller must have got some kind of sewage backup in his body at the VA and he died when his tank overflowed." Come on. People die of sepsis everyday in hospitals across America. Hence, the Surviving Sepsis Campaign and a lot of research into appropriate treatment. 

How many viewers would watch the Fox News if they interviewed a PA who was quoted saying "sepsis is not actually the inadequate delivery of oxygen to tissues but rather a defects in oxygen utilization by mitochondria is the cause of severe sepsis and shock." Every fat lazy guy watching the show turns to his wife and says "honey, change the channel to King of the Hill." Yepp!

This is hardly worth talking about. Fox News is against the VA (and anything government run.) It's their shtick. So they make dramatic leaps to get viewers worked into a frenzy. The average Fox News viewer doesn't have the education to understand what sepsis means. Fox News viewers hear "guy dies of sepsis at the VA" and they think "hmm...I have a septic tank behind my double wide. That doggone feller must have got some kind of sewage backup in his body at the VA and he died when his tank overflowed." Come on. People die of sepsis everyday in hospitals across America. Hence, the Surviving Sepsis Campaign and a lot of research into appropriate treatment.

How many viewers would watch the Fox News if they interviewed a PA who was quoted saying "sepsis is not actually the inadequate delivery of oxygen to tissues but rather a defects in oxygen utilization by mitochondria is the cause of severe sepsis and shock." Every fat lazy guy watching the show turns to his wife and says "honey, change the channel to King of the Hill." Yepp!

Apparently you like to profile people and then discriminate against them.

I agree that there's not enough information in the article to warrant conclusions.  There are too many, "What if...." questions that this brings up. 

In wound care, painful wounds are often treated with maggot therapy which raises the question about whether or not the maggots were intentional.  We have used maggot therapy in my wound center successfully. 

I believe there was a problem, but was it negligence that led to his demise, or was he just really really sick? 

Here's hoping his family gets a little closure.

Archived