What to do when I'm waiting to apply and how to improve my overall statistics?

I need some advise on what to do with my time for the next 5 months. I applied to PA schools during the 2016-2017 cycle and received multiple rejections and one interview. I am still waiting on hearing from about 9 schools but I don't want to sit idly in case I do not get an acceptance. I want to start preparing for the next application cycle. I applied with the following stats:
overall: 3.54
science: 3.28
BCP: 2.98
GRE: Verbal: 159, Quantitative: 152, Verbal: 4.5
HCE: 1400 hours through scribing

I have since gained another 300-400 hours of experience by scribing and have recently started a medical assistant job (with which I will have 6 months experience prior to reapplying in 2017).
I had not finished a course in Genetics prior to applying to these schools and received an A- in the lecture (3 credits) and a B in the lab (1 credit). I'm not sure if my GPA will improve with these two classes but I wanted to take another class to increase my GPA and increase my overall application. Unfortunately, my local school does not offer Biochemistry in the Spring semester. I  had received two C's in my undergraduate classes (Biology and Microbiology). I was thinking of retaking one or two of the classes in the spring 2017 semester as they offer it locally. Do you think this is unnecessary as the new grades will be averaged with the old ones and even if I receive an A, I will be averaged out to a B? Or should I try an online Biochemistry class even though some schools do not recommend online core science classes? Should I try and take another science class that PA schools recommend like Orgo 2 or Abnormal Psychology? What do you recommend I should do so I can improve myself for next cycle?

I would really appreciate any advise!!

Hmm, I think you should focus on improving your BCP gpa to at least a 3.0. That's the GPA most PA schools will use to calculate the science GPA and it is lower than the 3.0 cut off for many schools.

Additionally, keep on working at the medical assistant job for PCE. Scribing is alright, but patient care is necessary! 

Agree with the above. Also, as far as considering retaking science courses. While yes they only average out and therefore will not raise your GPA much, if you get As (which will be vital), this shows the faculty that you are capable at succeeding. Therefore I would suggest doing this for any pre-reqs you received Cs in the first time around.

You do have a low GPA and therefore will need to focus on other areas of your application to showcase why you would be a good student in their program. Working as an MA will be a great way to do this, be sure you have (and maybe continue) to shadow a PA and get your application in early!!

Best of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A BCP is your Biology, Chemistry, Physics GPA. I had multiple people (PAs and MDs included) read my essay and help me with it. Of course, if I do not get in this year, I would redo the essay for next cycle. I think my biggest mistake was applying late in this cycle and so most of the seats were filled already. The schools that rejected me mostly did so on the account that they had filled their seats, but I can always email them and ask if they had a chance to look at my application and see any improving factors. I have over 500 hours shadowing a PA and a 100 shadowing MDs. I am leaning towards redoing my classes that I received a C in and thinking about redoing my GRE as I received below the 50% percentile in the quantitative section. Do you think this is a good path? I don't know how else I could improve myself other than also trying to take Biochemistry during the summer.

You should retake at least the bio, maybe the micro, not to raise your GPA but because it is often a prereq for programs and a lot of times a C in a prereq isn't good enough.  Biology is also the foundation of so many other science courses.  

You should also retake the GRE - the importance is  a debated topic here but generally programs want you in the top 50th percentile.

Redo the GRE would be my advice. And download the 60 page math review from the GRE site; it's an excellent review.

Good luck!

Why? The score is 311. That is a good score. A low GRE score(which this is not) might weed you out, but a higher score is not going to get you a seat. I would put my money and energy elsewhere unless you know that a school is using a GRE cutoff >311. 

If you are taking more classes, take upper level science courses and get As in them (think advanced versions of prereq courses that you got a B or C in). Good luck

ETA: I see what you guys are saying about the quant being less than 50%ile.... I don't know if schools really separate these out. From what I have always heard, the GRE isn't a major decision maker, just a requirement to meet a certain minimum score. 

Archived