Saying "no" after saying "yes"

I went on a interview recently in another state. (actually several interviews in the area) I had done telephone interviews prior with PAs and the practice owner. I met the practice owner (MD) on my interview trip. He offered me the position the following day verbally. I asked for details to be included in an offer letter before accepting and asked for the contract and benefits information. The offer letter was supplied with only the salary. The benefits information was never supplied. About a week later, a contract came. I initially said "yes" after the verbal but it was "pending review of the actual offer and contract."  I continued to check more background on the practice and the practice owner while awaiting the contract. When the contract came, I was generally displeased with it and when combined with other information that was not positive during background checking, I reversed myself and declined the offer before signing the contract.

The practice owner was livid. He said I was obligated to join since I gave a verbal "yes" even though we both knew the any deal was pending other steps including background and contracts. He called me to sharply criticize me to not taking the offer. I have never had a prospective employer get upset over my decision to decline an offer. Until the contract is signed, there is no agreement.

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever declined before signing a contract but while tentatively giving a go ahead pending due diligence. 

I actually signed a contract then backed out. It happens. I know it's bad form. And there's a risk for litigation. But I was willing to stand for it. I won't go into details, but my gut was on my side.

Your position sounds so sour now, it's not like working there is even an option. Good luck. You'll weather it.

I have been in a similar position. In my case the owner was also deceptive about the benefits but I verbally accepted the position. When it came time to sign the contract I just looked at him and asked for the benefits I wanted. It worked...

But. You definitely made the right choice. Imagine if you had to deal with that explosive temper of his every day of your life. 

Archived