Making the switch form outpatient to inpatient medicine

I've been doing outpatient general medicine for about 2 years. I have my ups and downs with it. I like the holidays because I live far from family and the hours are not bad. No weekends. Call once every few months. Pay is meh. Benefits are decent. Primary and back up SPs are generally great. I'm not crazy about the back-to-back crammed-full scheduled nature of primary care and I definitely recall enjoying my inpatient experiences in school more than what I do now. I have considered applying for hospitalist positions or even a specialty job that is primarily inpatient. I have never worked an inpatient job professionally. Has anyone done this? Any tips?

I've been doing outpatient general medicine for about 2 years. I have my ups and downs with it. I like the holidays because I live far from family and the hours are not bad. No weekends. Call once every few months. Pay is meh. Benefits are decent. Primary and back up SPs are generally great. I'm not crazy about the back-to-back crammed-full scheduled nature of primary care and I definitely recall enjoying my inpatient experiences in school more than what I do now. I have considered applying for hospitalist positions or even a specialty job that is primarily inpatient. I have never worked an inpatient job professionally. Has anyone done this? Any tips?

Yes and I really enjoyed it! A lot depends on what you want out of lifestyle. I've never done outpatient so guess I can't compare apples to apples but I like being in the hospital. Currently working ER but my first job (still there prn) was inpatient cardiology. So much to learn. New stuff. Weird stuff. Cool stuff. Sad stuff. Aggravating stuff. Bounce backs. If you're considering making the switch ask a hiring group if you can just hang out before you officially apply. Spend 10-12 hours following someone around on a typical day. They get to know you. You get an inside view. Gives you a better idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting topic. I've been in OP family medicine for 7 years now and have contemplated hospital medicine when I see job vacancies.

I guess I've become a little too "comfortable" in the outpatient world. Obviously inpatient patients are a bit more ill. In making the switch I'd certainly have to study fluids, IV treatments, etc. Not sure what I'd do being able to get tests done quickly and results promptly.

I once talked to an ER doc about switching from family medicine to ER. He thought it would be a very good switch as I've had years of experiencing identifying patients that "don't look right". But, I like seeing the PE, pancreatitis, appendicitis, MI and acute arterial patient and calling 911 knowing that someone else is in the ER to escalate care.

Sorry, not really an answer.

Archived