60 replies to this topic

#1 isabellemarie

isabellemarie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:58 PM

Hi everyone!!

Just wanted to start a new topic for those who have been accepted and are planning on joining the UAB PA family. :) I figured we could go ahead and get to know each other and share any information about places to live, stuff we have to do before August, and how to navigate financial aid!

My name is Isabelle Kallenberg and I'm from Auburn, AL!

So excited to meet y'all!!

• acr37 and Ard1122 like this

#2 blau808

blau808

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:12 PM

Hi, Isabelle! 

My name is Brandon and I'm coming in from Hawaii! I was part of the Nov 10, Morning session interviews. Super excited to meet everyone!

• Ard1122 likes this

#3 Ard1122

Ard1122

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:18 PM

Hey y'all! I'm Amy Dennis, and I live in Birmingham now! Can't wait to meet you guys. If you have any questions about Birmingham let me know!
  • blau808 likes this

#4 Ard1122

Ard1122

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:34 PM

Hi, Isabelle! 

My name is Brandon and I'm coming in from Hawaii! I was part of the Nov 10, Morning session interviews. Super excited to meet everyone!

Awesome! what part of Hawaii are you from?

#5 blau808

blau808

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:44 PM

Awesome! what part of Hawaii are you from?

I'm from the island of Hawaii! Its the biggest island, so its often called the "Big Island."

I think there were at least 2 others from Hawaii who had interviews... I wonder if they got in?

#6 Ard1122

Ard1122

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:20 PM

Oh cool! Yeah I remember them from the other thread. Not sure. Are you excited/nervous about being so far from home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 isabellemarie

isabellemarie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:28 PM

Hey y'all! I'm Amy Dennis, and I live in Birmingham now! Can't wait to meet you guys. If you have any questions about Birmingham let me know!

Hi Amy! Do you have any recommendations of places to live that are within a reasonable commute to UAB's campus? 

#8 Ard1122

Ard1122

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:39 PM

Hi Amy! Do you have any recommendations of places to live that are within a reasonable commute to UAB's campus?

Yes! I currently live at the Crowne at Grandview apartments and I love it! I know of two current first year PA students that live there and they like it too! Very nice area. A lot of restaurants around and a good apartment complex that is well taken care of. Now, it is located on busy highway 280, but from what the current students have told me, they normally get to campus pretty early anyway so there isn't too much traffic at that hour. Even with the traffic though, I love the area. I have lived in so many other apartments in Birmingham and this is by far my favorite.

#9 blau808

blau808

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:12 PM

Oh cool! Yeah I remember them from the other thread. Not sure. Are you excited/nervous about being so far from home?

I'm really excited. I'm prior military so I've been to/lived in other states before, but of course that was in a military environment. This'll be my first time living in another state as a civilian. I actually picked UAB partly because of how far it is from HawaiI LOL. Hawaii is so secluded that you really need to get away to really grow.

#10 Ard1122

Ard1122

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:14 PM

I'm really excited. I'm prior military so I've been to/lived in other states before, but of course that was in a military environment. This'll be my first time living in another state as a civilian. I actually picked UAB partly because of how far it is from HawaiI LOL. Hawaii is so secluded that you really need to get away to really grow.

Cool! Yeah it's always fun to get away and explore!

#11 blau808

blau808

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:15 PM

Cool! Yeah it's always fun to get away and explore!

How's the rent in Birmingham?

#12 mlm0058

mlm0058

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:21 PM

Hi everyone!!

Just wanted to start a new topic for those who have been accepted and are planning on joining the UAB PA family. :) I figured we could go ahead and get to know each other and share any information about places to live, stuff we have to do before August, and how to navigate financial aid!

My name is Isabelle Kallenberg and I'm from Auburn, AL!

So excited to meet y'all!!

My name is Molly and I'm from Pensacola, FL but I graduated from Auburn in May!
  • Ard1122 likes this

#13 Ard1122

Ard1122

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:35 PM

Hey Molly! I'm from Mobile.. not too far from Pensacola! I have some UAB friends from there!

#14 isabellemarie

isabellemarie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:37 PM

Hey Molly! I'm from Mobile.. not too far from Pensacola! I have some UAB friends from there!

I went to high school in Mobile and went to Auburn for undergrad and grad! Small world! :)

#15 Ard1122

Ard1122

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:41 PM

Honestly, I don't think it's too expensive, but it definitely varies throughout the city. You will see when you get here that you can go from super fancy parts of town to some not so nice parts within just a few minutes! There are soooo many different areas to live. I would start googling some places. Look up vestavia hills, mountain brook, cahaba heights, homewood, and Hoover. Those are the nicer areas around Birmingham. Downtown is definitely going to be more expensive because a lot of the apartments and complexes are historic buildings. I lived downtown one year for undergrad and I LOVED being so close to campus, but the building was very old, and it wasn't the nicest area.

I hope this helps! Sorry for the long winded response if you guys have anymore questions let me know!!

#16 isabellemarie

isabellemarie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:42 PM

I think the rent varies on location and amenities. I have friends in Birmingham who pay as little as 500 per room per month (further away from downtown) and some that pay as high as 1000 or more in the Homewood area.

#17 Ard1122

Ard1122

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:44 PM

I went to high school in Mobile and went to Auburn for undergrad and grad! Small world! :)

No way! What high school did you go to?

#18 isabellemarie

isabellemarie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:04 PM

No way! What high school did you go to?

I went to the Alabama School of Math & Science! Insert nerd emoji here haha

#19 Ard1122

Ard1122

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:14 PM

I went to the Alabama School of Math & Science! Insert nerd emoji here haha

Oh cool, I know where that is. I went to Faith Academy!

#20 acr37

acr37

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:33 PM

Hi everyone! My name is Abbie Reed. My husband and I both got accepted! We are coming from Dallas, TX.
  • Ard1122 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users