When to submit CASPA dilemma

Hey everyone! So ill be applying to PA schools next cycle and i need some advice. Its been recommended by many people to apply early, especially for those schools with rolling admissions. Now since CASPA usually opens in mid to late april, my original plan was to submit my application then. Hopefully be all done by end of april. At that time ill have all my requisites done and expect to have a 3.85 cum gpa and around a 3.75 sci gpa with about 1600-1700 hours of health care experience. During the spring im taking classes that are just part of my major requirement but not needed for pa school. Classes include biochem 2, biophysical chem, physics, biochem lab, and religion class. Then in summer ill be taking physics 2 and chem elective, then ill be all done with undergrad. So someone mentioned to me that theres really no point in applying that early? So what exactly should i do? Ill be really happy with my gpa so if i wait til after i finish spring semester i risk lowering my gpa. Id really like to apply as early as possible because i honestly just want to get the whole application part of process done with. Should i go with original plan and apply early or wait til late may or june (accumulate a few more HCE) and then apply. Thanks!

I submitted mid June and had no issues.  For sure be in by August.  Earlier is always better.  Doesn't sound like there's really a strong reason for you to WAIT, though, as nothing past May is going to really influence your app.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I think me waiting would do more harm than good because then as i mentioned before, my gpa might drop. I think you both clarified my decision for me. Im definitely going to go with original plan and submit late april/ early may. Thanks for the help!

My caspa materials got verified July 1 and I had no issues receiving interview invites (for a good number of them I was invited to their first interview session). All programs do their interview invites differently, but I would advise May/midJune (like a previous poster said, it makes no difference which you choose). Mid-July would be the latest I would want all my materials verified by CASPA. To hopefully provide more insight and perspective, I applied to ~13 schools and was invited for an interview to 12 of them. My first interview invite, to my surprise, was received two days later after my CASPA was verified.

It would also depend how strong of an applicant you are (to some program) that will determine how early you will receive an invite. You seem like a very competitive applicant, so just keep up the good work (PS, extra-curriculars,volunteer,  supplemental essays, GRE -not as much just shoot for 300+, >310 if possible-, references, etc are all equally important). My GPA was lower than yours and I had around the minimum hours to get into most PA schools for when I applied (~1200hrs total), and had no trouble getting invites to some prestigious programs (if that at all matters to you) like Yale, Cornell, and Duke.

Good luck!

My caspa materials got verified July 1 and I had no issues receiving interview invites (for a good number of them I was invited to their first interview session). All programs do their interview invites differently, but I would advice May/midJune (like a previous poster said, it makes no difference which you choose). Mid-July would be the latest I would want all my materials verified by CASPA. To hopefully provide more insight and perspective, I applied to ~13 schools and was invited for an interview to 12 of them. My first interview invite, to my surprise, was received two days later after my CASPA was verified.

It would also depend how strong of an applicant you are (to some program) that will determine how early you will receive an invite. You seem like a very competitive applicant, so just keep up the good work (PS, extra-curriculars,volunteer,  supplemental essays, GRE -not as much just shoot for 300+, >310 if possible-, references, etc are all equally important). My GPA was lower than yours and I had around the minimum hours to get into most PA schools for when I applied (~1200hrs total), and had no trouble getting invites to some prestigious programs (if that at all matters to you) like Yale, Cornell, and Duke.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the reply. Very encouraging information!

It's hard to say what a "best time" is, because getting that coveted interview depends on much much more than date of CASPA submission, as long as it's before the deadline. I submitted in August and got into a program with rolling admissions by November.  Although, earlier can't hurt, so if you're ready by May, go for it. You can sometimes send schools updated transcripts if you're missing a pre-requisite or two. Just make sure what their specific policies are on that. 

GOOD LUCK!

Archived