Navy HSCP Quotas (2016-2017)

Hey Everyone,

I was accepted to PA school back in July, and have been working on my package for HSCP since then. I am finally going to be submitting on December 1st!t With that said, I'm just curious if anyone has knowledge of how the board works? For instance, is it on a first-come-first-serve basis, and once they fill all the slots that's it? Also, if they theoretically had 10 slots for a FY, and only had 5 applicants, would all 5 applicants be selected? 

I am just trying to gauge my chances at being selected. I've wanted to join the Navy since I was around 11 haha, so I am trying my hardest! Thanks for any help you can offer!

-V

Yes, it's rolling admissions. If a candidate is qualified, then he is selected and a late even more qualified candidate would be recommended, but passed over selection if no slots available.

No, if there are 10 slots and 5 applicants, they may not all get selected. You first have to be recommended by the board.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to update anyone looking at this thread with my situation. I got the call today saying that I've been placed on the alternate list. Essentially, as the LT told me, this means that if someone who was selected decides not to accept the scholarship, then they will call those on the alternate list.

Now, what position I am on the alternate list is another story haha. LT told me that last year he had a physiology student pulled off the alternate list for HSCP, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! The FY is over at the end of September, so hopefully I hear some good news before then!

Thanks for reading.

• 2 months later...

Just an update for anyone watching/following this post - I received a call today letting me know that someone had declined their scholarship, and I was the first alternate! They will be letting my recruiter know next week (Monday I presume) that I have been selected, and from there it's just a matter of finalizing paperwork! I couldn't be more excited for the opportunity.

If anyone reading this has experience as a Navy PA, or in the military in general, I would really appreciate some insight on your time and experience. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just an update for anyone following this post:

Yesterday I finished all the paperwork and officially enlisted in the U.S. Navy! I drove from CT (where PA school is) to MD (where I'm from and started the HSCP application process) to have my recruiter swear me in! I'm so grateful for the opportunity! I can't wait to commission, graduate ODS and join the fleet to help keep our sailors, marines and their families healthy. First, I just have to get through school :p

If anyone wants any information about the process or has any questions, feel free to pm me. Thanks for reading!

P.s. there's a video of me being sworn in on the Navy Medical Recruiting Station Baltimore facebook page if you're interested ;) (shameless plug bc I'm still shocked I was even selected!)

Congratulations! vb315. Just few basic questions. How long after being accepted into a program did you start the application process for HSCP? How long did it take for the application to be complete? How helpful were the recruiters?

Thanks. 

Thanks! I was accepted on July 8th, and contacted the recruiter on July 13th. As for completing the application, it took some time. There are two interviews that are part of the application (2 MSC Officers, 1 has to be in your specialty), essays, and a lot of paperwork. Unfortunately, I had to go back for repeat labs for my physical to be cleared, so that delayed it for some time. When it was all said and done, I submitted my package for the January board.

As for the recruiters, mine was SUPER helpful. He was always there to answer my emails, and always on top of all the paperwork. He got me two great interviews; one was with a PA who was a CDR (O-5). The highest rank a PA can achieve is CAPT (O-6) so that really helped my application. Also, since I lived close to Walter Reed, he took me there to get my physical, since it was a lot more laid back and a better option than MEPS.

I hope this helps.

-VB

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2017 at 1:29 PM, vb315 said:

Thanks! I was accepted on July 8th, and contacted the recruiter on July 13th. As for completing the application, it took some time. There are two interviews that are part of the application (2 MSC Officers, 1 has to be in your specialty), essays, and a lot of paperwork. Unfortunately, I had to go back for repeat labs for my physical to be cleared, so that delayed it for some time. When it was all said and done, I submitted my package for the January board.

As for the recruiters, mine was SUPER helpful. He was always there to answer my emails, and always on top of all the paperwork. He got me two great interviews; one was with a PA who was a CDR (O-5). The highest rank a PA can achieve is CAPT (O-6) so that really helped my application. Also, since I lived close to Walter Reed, he took me there to get my physical, since it was a lot more laid back and a better option than MEPS.

I hope this helps.

-VB

Thank you for the response. It is very helpful. Depending on how my applications go this cycle, I might reach out once more in the near future. Good luck with your school!

19 hours ago, moleashish said:

Thank you for the response. It is very helpful. Depending on how my applications go this cycle, I might reach out once more in the near future. Good luck with your school!

No problem! Good luck with your applications this cycle and feel free to reach out in the future!

-VB

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2017 at 10:29 AM, vb315 said:

I hope this helps.

-VB

First off, congratulations vb315! I do have a couple of questions for you, did you have to drive out of your way/fly somewhere to do your interviews? Also, do you mind sharing your stats? I just want an idea of how competitive I will be. 

On 9/6/2017 at 6:36 PM, menehunemed said:

First off, congratulations vb315! I do have a couple of questions for you, did you have to drive out of your way/fly somewhere to do your interviews? Also, do you mind sharing your stats? I just want an idea of how competitive I will be. 

So I did my interviews at Walter Reed, the military hospital in Bethesda, MD. It was only a 45min drive for me since I lived close.

As for my stats, I'd say they were pretty average. 3.5 GPA, ~2100 HCE hours, some shadowing hours. I did have a lot of experience in leadership roles in groups/orgs in college. I founded a student org, was VP of my fraternity and was active in many other orgs. On top of that I did a lot of volunteering with the homeless population and with children with disabilities. If it helps, I was originally an alternate for the scholarship, but when someone declined I was the next on the list. I was a first generation high-school and college graduate, raised with my brother in a single-parent home with a dad in prison yadda yadda. It shaped a lot of who am I and I definitely touched on that in my essay.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

That's good to know! Hmmm, we even have similar stats and the whole single-parent home/dad in prison situation lol. But I'm glad that you are where you're at and working towards your dream!

I did have one other question, were you given the opportunity to apply for both HSCP and HPSP scholarships and just chose to apply for the HSCP? Or can you only submit application packets for one of them? If so, why did you chose to apply for HSCP specifically? 

On 9/9/2017 at 9:12 PM, menehunemed said:

That's good to know! Hmmm, we even have similar stats and the whole single-parent home/dad in prison situation lol. But I'm glad that you are where you're at and working towards your dream!

I did have one other question, were you given the opportunity to apply for both HSCP and HPSP scholarships and just chose to apply for the HSCP? Or can you only submit application packets for one of them? If so, why did you chose to apply for HSCP specifically? 

I applied for HSCP only. There were no HPSP slots last cycle when I applied. There wound up being 1 (or 2) slots available after I had already decided on HSCP. I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, I'd say that you would be allowed to apply to both, just talk with the medical recruiter. I'm sure the applications are similar in some regards.

• 2 months later...

Hi @vb315. I am back for more questions. I was just accepted to a PA program. I left a message for the Officer Recruiter in my area (veterans day weekend) with all my basic information. To get the process started what paperworks should I start gathering and what else can I do in the mean time. I want to get this going asap as the HSCP is on rolling basis. 

I will be making copies of my Bachelor Degree, PA acceptance email (no letter at this time), and my DD214 prior enlistment.

Anything else you can think of? 

Thank you very much.

• 1 month later...

Now that you are in the program be cautious of going to the Dr for any reason or risk getting immediately discharged from the program.  I got discharged at the 3/4 mark through the program.  I wanted to continue to be in the Navy so it was a disappointment.  But it was also a free $90,000.

I went to the Dr for my required annual physical and mentioned I was feeling tired.  He did a blood test for anemia which came back normal.  When the med record got sent to the Navy, they discharged me 5 days later.  I also got prescribed a PPI for heartburn.

• 1 month later...

I was also debating getting the application for the HSCP started but I had a few questions.. If I've had a flexor tendon hand surgery would that automatically disqualify me? They immediately requested that I go to the surgeon to get pre/post operative surgery report as well as a letter from the surgeon stating I would be 100% prepared for military duty. I know it may be extremely late in the application cycle and I understand that it may take weeks to get this paper work, but is it worth me trying to get everything done? When exactly is the application deadline? I have also just recently been accepted to PA school by the way.

49 minutes ago, CruzToPA said:

I was also debating getting the application for the HSCP started but I had a few questions.. If I've had a flexor tendon hand surgery would that automatically disqualify me? They immediately requested that I go to the surgeon to get pre/post operative surgery report as well as a letter from the surgeon stating I would be 100% prepared for military duty. I know it may be extremely late in the application cycle and I understand that it may take weeks to get this paper work, but is it worth me trying to get everything done? When exactly is the application deadline? I have also just recently been accepted to PA school by the way.

Sorry, this late...no way spots aren’t already filled. Hell they have already commissioned. Unless you’re asking about this upcoming year and you start school between Aug and Dec. in which case you’re early! It’s rolling admission, so no deadline, but it’s settled by Dec. Application is open in October.

if records show you have no deficit in the hand, you’ll be fine

I would just ask the recruiter how many quotas are still available to be filled. I am in the process of completing the application. Just need one more interview with a Navy AD PA on Feb 1 scheduled. All other paperworks are in. Need to submit my personal statment and after that its waiting game. 

From what my recruiter told me, there are 18 quotas and 25 applicants so far. I will be starting school in Aug so hopefully I will get selected and start getting paid when school starts. 

If you can get all other paperworks completed (background check, LoR s from professors and work supervisors, personal statement, copies of all necessary documents like birth certificate, college diploma, official transcripts as soon as possible) then I hope you can still do it. Just ask the recruiter for the timeline. 

Hope this helps and good luck. 

May be we'll get to work together someday.

Thank you all for your help. I’ve contacted the recruiter and talked to her about continuing the application even though there are mountains of documents to get through. Does anyone know exactly what their looking for in the motivational statement for the APSR? Like more of a focus on why I want to be a navy PA or why I want to be a PA in general? Should I use my personal statement from the Caspa application as a guideline or start over? Thank you for your help again as I rush to get all my ducks in a row!

For motivational statement my recruiter gave me these guidelines to follow,

1. Who you are. Tell them briefly.

2. What your experiences are that are relevant to be a Navy Officer

3. Why do you want to become a Naval Officer and relevant job associated with it, so for us why Navy PA.

4. Sell yourself on why they should pick you.

5. What experience and expertise are you going to bring to the table.

6. Don't talk about your desire to join other military branch. 

So focus on the strengths of these and relevant experiences. 

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Archived