New Surgical Job

There are a ton of people posting about offers and asking for advice. I've only been at my new place for a week, but I feel like this place truly respects PAs and compensates them appropriately.

Disclaimer: this is my first "real" job after PA school, but I am residency trained.

General Surgery

Base salary of $105k plus extra for call

Mon-Fri, 7am until work is done (varies a lot, but the early days balance the late days), rounding, floor work, and first assist, one clinic day every other week

Call: Max of five days per month, post call day off, Monday off for Saturday call, gen surg PAs have their own call room with private bathroom and TV, but are free to take call from home

Health, dental, vision, and long term disability (60% of pay) with very reasonable rates

Life and AD&D insurance at 2x my salary included

Short term disability included at 100% of pay and covers sick days, max of 4 sick occurrences per year

20 days off per year (not including sick days)

Malpractice insurance with tail coverage included

$2500 and five days off for CME yearly

Medical license, DEA, PANRE fees, and two professional organization fees covered

Personal subscription for Up to Date included, organizational subscriptions to several other resources, library with current reference books

Loupes paid for

White coats and laundry service included

$70 cell phone stipend per month (no pagers)

401k matched at 50% up to 3%

No fees for parking at the hospital

"Doctors" surgical lounge with snacks, a big screen tv, and comfy chairs

Also, it's a not for profit, so my student loan remainder will be forgiven if I stay for ten years

Up to $6k in relocation expenses provided

They also arranged and paid for my travel to the interview, hotel room, and rental car.

This should be the standard. Some of the offers I see posted are just ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New grad here. No residency training and practically no experience in student rotations nor prior related job pre-PA school, working subspeciality surgery at major research university. Folks hiring me knew very well I had no experience. said they didn't care, looking for someone with good work ethic, attitude, fit in with the staff - "that's 80% of the job, we'll teach you the 20% that's medicine" and acknowledged it's a niche subspecialty don't expect me to know much of anything.

I sent you my job deets in personal msg. they mirror or exceed the deets listed up above. I turned down a 1-year orthopedic surgical residency interview invite that would've paid $40K for the year a month or so before I got the job w/the deets I messaged you.

I know of at least 6 of my classmates who are working in surg jobs with >1 OR day per week. One classmate is well above new-grad avg for that specialty, with extra, separate money twd student loan debt. None of us did residencies/extra surg/residency/extra training beyond 2 years of PA school aside what some of their prior CNA/tech job experience in similar or near-similar specialties in some cases.

Residencies are completely unnecessary imho.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you think having a residency under your belt helped you obtain that job and/or improved your starting pay?

Or is it a combination of a good practice/location/specialty?

The residency increased my starting pay and made me a more desirable employee. This group hires new grads, but generally only new grads they know through rotations or as prior employees. I'm not sure I would have gotten the position without it.

Residencies are completely unnecessary imho.

I never stated one was necessary, just states my prior experience.

When you look at them from purely a financial standpoint they don't make sense.

The depth and breath of experience I received over the past year was something I would never be exposed to in any regular job. Truly understanding what type of experience the surgeons I'm working with went through during training makes it easier for me to relate to them. There are benefits to further training that aren't financial.

Archived