Salary for second year PA

Hello there,

I just completed my first year as a PA in a Family Medicine setting. 

I work M-F 8-5 (more like 6-6:30 doing charts) No weekends or call.

I see anywhere from 1070-1190 patients per quarter (this includes rechecks, same days and physicals...but mostly the first two.)

I make $80.000 a year plus bonuses. 

Bonuses = "A quarterly bonus will be paid at the rate of $20 per patient seen by PA above 900 patients during said quarter." 

*It never is quite $20 per patient as there is always "adjustments"

Made about $8000 in bonuses after taxes this past year 

I have 10 days of PTO.

$1500 of CMEs; and 5 days off

5 days of sick leave 

6 paid holidays 

For my second year they are offering $5000 signing bonus, 5 additional vacation days but no increase in base salary. And if I leave before the end of the second year I must return the bonus. 

I would like some thoughts if this is a fair offer or if there is room to negotiate? 

Thank you for your time. 

10 days PTO seems criminal. Are you in an area with a low cost of living? What area of the country? I hate the idea of bonuses. And your base salary is ~5k below the national average.

I'm currently applying in Family Med. Lowest offer for a new grad so far has been $85k + incentive pay. Several offers at 95-100k. Lowest vacation/PTO has been 14 days. Averaging 21 days, plus major holidays. Some have call or rotating Saturdays, most do not though.

Hello there PACdan,

Thank you for your reply.

I actually practice in an area of Florida where the cost of living is quite high (Naples FL)

Ah. I hear that Florida is quite saturated due to the number of PA programs in the state. This drives down salary averages as well.

Your salary + bonus should probably be atleast 95k if not higher. Whatever you negotiate, whether it be more base pay more bonus I think that should be your target. You are likely bringing in around 300-400k for the practice in collections with the amount of patients you see. You also should try to get more efficient at charting. No reason you should be working 12.5 hour days (which amounts to approximately 28-30$ per hour with your current base salary). Florida is a saturated market which does make things a bit more difficult.

Strive for

4 weeks PTO

10 vacation days

5 days sick/personal

one week CME

$2500 CME

Then realistically you should start being well over 100k

A doc would be in the 200k range

you are not even 1/2 that

they will get VERY used to making a lot of money off you and resist change..... so push hard!

There's no way on God's green earth I'd work for that. As others have said, you should be over $100k, and need more vacation days. I would just look for another job, because as low as they are, it's not likely you're going to be able to get up to where you should be.

FL is a fickle place for healthcare...average PA salaries tend to be lower across the state than national averages (not saying it's right, just...wider gaps for negotiations).

OP might be better off trying to negotiate up at the current practice if they are happy with him/her (easier than going through another training period with a new provider, in theory) but should also be prepared to leave.  Start looking, use it as leverage.  You can't threaten to walk away if you aren't actually prepared to do it.

Archived