Applied to around 10 schools and got 4 interview offers so far. Waitlisted at two and have 2 more interviews coming up in the next few weeks. I know I should be honored that I have interviews at all since it's my first time applying but being waitlisted from my top 2 schools has gotten me really discouraged, especially since I felt like I've put my best foot forward.. 

One school ranks their alternate list, and I'm currently at #6, which seems like a long shot. The other school does not rank their list, but supposedly reviews all their applicants after every interview date, which also seems like a long shot since you're competing with even more applicants after each interview.  

It's hard to see waitlist has being a good thing when it just seems like a pending rejection. I was just wondering if there is any chance at all of waitlist ultimately being accepted vs. being rejected? 

I have other interviews coming up but I was really hoping that at this point I would have gotten at least one acceptance somewhere. I'm really dreading the idea of having to reapply next year, although I know full well that it is a possibility that others have done before..

If anyone has any words of encouragement, I would really appreciate it. 

In my opinion, being 6th on the alternate list is pretty good. A lot of people accept their seats and as the cycle continues and they get accepted into other programs, the possibility that some people might give up their seat for someone else despite having already put in their seat deposit is inevitable. I wouldn't lose hope just yet!

I was in your position. I applied to 7 schools, interviewed at 4 and waitlisted at 1 before I received an acceptance call last week. The night before my fourth interview I was freaking out thinking about every possible thing that could go wrong and already thinking about having to reapply next year. I told myself that I would give it my all at this fourth interview and if I didn't feel confident after the interview, I would start thinking about things I could change for my application next year. Three days later I received my acceptance call. 

Being 6th on a list is REALLY good! PLUS, you still have two more interviews coming up! You should be very proud of yourself! All you need is one acceptance! 

I would just think about your previous interviews and ways that you could've done better. Maybe you forgot to tell them about an experience that sets you apart from the other applicants? Take every interview as a learning opportunity and do even better at your next interview! Honestly, coming to terms and making a list of things that I could improve on my application, setting that list aside, and then focusing on my fourth interview is what really helped me. Good luck!

I also think 6th is really good, especially this time of year when people haven't gotten (and therefore haven't yet accepted) all of their offers yet. There are applicants who get into multiple schools and they can only go one place - once they decide where that opens up slots at their other acceptances. Also there are apps who hold a seat while holding out hope they may get in somewhere else - if they do, that seat opens up. I wouldn't call this bad news just yet.

Faced with an applicant who has been interviewed, schools have to decide -- often within a few days -- to admit, to reject, or to waitlist. And often the interview process is done over multiple days, with gaps between them.

The waitlisted students may be accepted later, after the "obvious" ones are admitted (the "stars") and after the dust settles (i.e., "stars" may get multiple acceptances.) It is quite common for students to come from the waitlist pool.

My closest friend in PA school got pulled in from the waitlist a day or two before school started!

Stay calm!

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it right now. 

Is there anything that you recommend that I would do in the meantime for the schools I'm currently waitlisted at? I'm not sure if there's something I can do to stand out while I'm on the waitlist or to improve my chances.. 

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it right now. 

Is there anything that you recommend that I would do in the meantime for the schools I'm currently waitlisted at? I'm not sure if there's something I can do to stand out while I'm on the waitlist or to improve my chances.. 

I emailed the school I was waitlisted at and asked them if I should update my CASPA application. However, I was told that they won't go back to look at my application once I was placed on the waitlist. They said it would just be a waiting game :/ 

I know waiting is the hardest part, but just focus on the interviews you have ahead of you. 

• 1 month later...

Archived