Offered Dream Job....Wanting to back out of Contract for a position I have yet to start

Hello everyone,

Due to the fact that I am a new graduate ( as of August ) I felt the pressure to take one of the first jobs that I was offered. At the time it was the only offer on the table, and I felt overwhelming stress of securing employment. Although it was not my dream job, I signed the contract on Sept 30th. I am scheduled to start this new job on or around December 14th depending on when hospital credentialing goes through.

Today, I received my dream job offer. It has better pay & better hours. I have been given an amazing opportunity as a new graduate and do not want to pass this offer up..... however, I have already signed the contract to the other job. 

So my question is, I am a wrong for backing out of my original job offer (which I have yet to start) & take my dream job?

The contract I signed is a one year contract commitment. The wording in the contract states the following

Subject to Non-Physician Provider’s satisfaction of the Prerequisites set forth in Section 1, the term of this Agreement shall commence on December 14, 2016, or such other date as approved by Company (the “Effective Date”) and shall remain in full force and effect thereafter for an initial term of one (1) year (“Initial Term”) "

There is no other date that is called "Effective Date" other than December 14th, 2016.  However, the contract was signed on September 30th, 2016. 

Does anyone have an input on this?  My thoughts are that I should be able to get out of the contract without penalty since I have yet to start the job. 

Appreciate all advice and input. 

I did not receive any type of monetary value from the company. They did pay for my hospital credentialing, however that has yet to go through, as I do not have privileges . I guess my only concern is that they would try to get lawyers involved? 

As far as burning bridges goes, I do not think it would be a huge impact. It is a very small company & I highly doubt I would ever attempt to pursue that path ever again. 

I feel bad for backing out of my word. But, I will never forgive myself if I let this other opportunity pass. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...