wedding during clinical year

So someone tell me if I'm being completely crazy! I'm looking to get married during my clinical phase. I have a planner and a lot of help so its not the coordinating that's an issue but physically setting aside a weekend seems ambiguous. I know clinical year leaves you more time for yourself though. I talked to our director and the solution was to put me on a rotation that has shift work (like the ED) during the time of my wedding. I am out of state so I need a little time to travel but I really only need 3 days total. Our director is willing to help with setting aside an ED rotation (it is probable, but of course that cannot be 100% promised now). Does anyone have any advise or experience in this department?

After talking with family and my fiance I think we're about to go ahead with planning...

I am in the same boat as you. My wedding will be in September, already have deposits down for everything. I guess every program is a little different. We get two weeks off our clinical year, so I just requested my two week off block to be during my wedding. I don't think it is crazy at all! I have been doing my own planning and it is a lot of work, but can be done! Good luck and congrats!!

I got married between the autumn and winter quarters of didactic year.

Looking back, I think the key to making it work and loving my wedding was that I didn't need to control everything. I was happy to delegate delegate delegate to family. My now-husband and I split the big decisions while frequently touching base about the other's preferences.

If you have a supportive family and program, which it sounds like you do, the only question left to answer is something very personal: how much control do you yourself need over decisions? If the answer to that is "a lot" or you think you might not be happy with a family member's choices on your behalf then you might want to wait a couple months and get married after you graduate.

Archived