New York Liability

I have a question for my fellow NY PA-C's. I just started a surgery job in New York and I am feeling a little uneasy about parts of the job. My surgeon owns his own practice and wants me to operate with him in his office as well as perform procedures as needed on patients on my own. When we discussed salary he told me he is going to pay me "off the book" for the first few weeks and after we both feel "happy" with each other he promised to put me on payroll. He never gave me any contracts to sign and when I asked about them be told me there was no need for one. When I interviewed he told me he will supply me with insurance coverage but now he is asking me to find my own coverage. However I am most concerned about liability especially since I am going to be assisting him in the OR and eventually he wants me to perform procedures in the office. I have had to purchase liability insurance before with a previous hospital job but I am not sure how to do that for private practice and my surgeon told me it's a waste of time. I'm not sure what to do right now. I don't feel comfortable with how casual my surgeon is making my employment. For my previous job in a hospital there was an endless stack of papers when I started. But this was my dream job on paper and I don't want to give up without trying it out. Just concerned I might jeopardize my license by not covering myself. Thank you for your assistance and recommendations!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived