New Grad job offer in family practice....fair?

Hi all,

I graduated from PA school 2 months ago and have a recent job offer for a privately owned suburban family practice with one doctor, one PA, and one APRN. Although smaller, it seems like it is a busy office and I was told I would start off seeing about 2 patients per hour but will eventually see 30-35 patients a day typically (which seems like alot to me). I was not told directly how long the training will take. The office still uses paper charts and it seems like the doctor has no intentions of ever having an EMR system, which sort of shocked me. I have only used EMR systems on my rotations. I met the other providers and honestly, they seemed as though they were pretty burnt out. 

The doctor also does not like to refer out and does many procedures and most laboratory/diagnostic testing within the office, which seems like it may be a good learning experience for a new grad. 

I always pictured myself working in a city (like Boston) more than the suburbs as a young grad, but this job would provide me the opportunity to save some money and somewhat relieve the burden of my student loans once they kick in.

Here are the details:

$95,000 salary, no bonuses

$1200 CME 

Retirement 3% match

Will cover state license, DEA, and substance control costs

2 weeks paid vacation, 1 week PTO

on call once per month, shared

What are your opinions on this family practice job, especially as a new grad? 

That is a horrible sounding offer and practice.

No one should be seeing 30 patients in FP a day.

The benefit package sucks.

It sounds like a money mill with all the in house testing.

There are laws in some states about owning MRIs, labs or forcing pts to use a practice owned service. Collusion.

No EMR means poor reimbursement and difficult accountability with higher risk for non documentation of meds called in plus cumbersome with labs - phone calls and potential for handwriting issues which are also law in some states.

Wasteful and I am not a huge EMR fan -----

I wouldn't consider that profile at 25 yrs in and think it would burn out a new grad quickly.

Quality, not quantity

• 4 weeks later...

30 patients a day is brutal.  I have done it occasionally, but honestly I would never do that long term, especially FP.  

I would say up to 20 is comfortable.  As a new grad I think 10-15 for the first year should be all that is expected.  I was slower for probably the first 2 years, usually only up to 15 per day.  That is what you need to think things through and learn. I would not take this offer, they are setting it out plain that they are focused on an unreasonable  high volume of patients, sounds miserable to me.

It is very hard to see that many FP pts in a single day and be happy about it. Sure the doc who owns the practice may see 30+ in a day, but it's likely all he's seeing is dollar signs. You will be depressed by the amount of work and the lack of care you will actually be able to provide with that type of volume. I'd pass. 

Archived