NEW GRAD job offer in ED- is this a fair offer??

Since no one else has answered, I'll give you something.  You're offer seems in line with a lot of ED offers I've seen on here.  The biggest issue I see with the majority of these offers is the lack of PTO.  It just makes absolutely no sense.  Just because you work 12 hour shifts doesn't mean you work less hours.  Working 40 hours per week is less than 2000 working hours per year (correcting for holidays and PTO).  Your minimum of 144 shifts/year equals 1728 working hours per year.  That is equivalent to 34.5 hours/week.  Full time is generally considered working 32+ hours per week.  To me the lack of PTO is just unacceptable.

Also, the CME is low.  Minimum should be $1500, and really should be at least $2000.  I'm also confused by how the bonus works.  So once you collect $95k you get a bonus on your RVU rate.  That could be very lucrative, and possibly negates my other issue of no increase in hourly rate for extra shifts.

I agree the initial base rate they are offering is low.  I briefly did EM more than 10 years ago and started at 50/hr, that was 10 years ago.....  Once you are more comfortable though the RVU bonus could make up for that.  Not sure as I do not have any type of RVU structure to my pay.  

No PTO is also very surprising, I understand you are working shifts, but if you want to take a full week off you have to work a hellish week before or after to make up your time.  I doubt any EM physicians are willing to take a position without PTO.  I am always surprised at what the normal PTO offers are for physicians, seems not unusual for them to be offered 6-8 weeks of PTO a year, and we can't even get half of that, that is just unacceptable. 

I think as a new grad it is just tough, you really need to focus on a good supportive learning environment, once you are a contributing and getting in your groove, which I think takes at least a year then you really have more leverage.  It also depends if you have any other offers to counter with, if you do then I would bring that to the table, if not it may be worth taking the position to get experience if you really want to do EM.

For what it is worth I have practiced in NC for 14 years, overall good place for PAs, I have found that compensation is all over the place.  75 per hour in EM is definately attainable (I am in a specialty and making right around that number plus benefits), but I don't think that is typical for a new grad and something you would need to work up to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived