PA is The Best Job in The World

No, man!  No no no.  Specializing on the side of a generalist practice is cool, like being an internist who has a focus on diabetes or pulmonology.  But being a general internist/internal medicine PA is what medicine needs and it's a cool gig. 

I'm almost exactly 5 years in to my PA career (5 years and 2 days to be exact) and it is everything I hoped that it would be and often more.  It is frustrating as heck to deal with insurance companies.  It is frustrating as heck to deal with noncompliant patients or system abusers or drug abusers.  But guess what - this is "people."  You want to take care of people?  Good.  Great.  Wonderful!  We need more people who will care for others.  But you have got to remember that taking care of "people" means taking care of the homeless dude under the bridge with frostbite and amputation wounds whose diet consists of beer and canned soup.  It means taking care of the drug addict who jumps off a building when he's high.  It means taking care of the well established professor who has depression and cannot get his personal life together and is going through a divorce so he can't remember to keep his cholesterol and blood pressure in check.  "People" are a heterogenous messy bunch of folks, many of whom have no idea how they got where they are in life.  And taking care of them is awesome.  It is hard.  It is taxing.  It is a privilege.  And it rocks. 

I'm not actually knocking the PAs who specialize.  I get that you want to be an expert in one area of medicine.  It pays better, too.  But I think you miss out on an awful lot of the human condition when you're in specialty practice. 

To the OP - keep the optimism going.  We, as a profession, obviously need it. 

AMEN! thank you for the kind words.

And yes, I 100% understand what you're saying... That is something I have culminated over the years- seeing each person as equal.

And that is very important in healthcare.

I would love to go into general practice, but I have such extensive knowledge of orthopedics and BioPhysics that it would be a public disservice of me to not go into that specialty.

Does that make sense?

I know what implant companies are rotten scum, I understand almost all major orthopedic procedures (total knee, total shoulder, total hip, scopes, fracture management, osteobiologics, etc etc).  And for someone who is as passionate as I am about my work, and who has such a good grasp on the business side of the field- I feel it's my duty to jump in and help. 

I have told doctors they are wrong when I know I am right (ok... I've done that ONE time. lol)

But I know that by entering the field of orthopedics as a P.A.,

I will be doing my part, to make a ripple on this earth, by:

1. Becoming fulfilled, myself.  Thus, being able to teach other's about how to become fulfilled, and also by being able to show up to work with a smile and a passion to help people change their lives.

2. Assisting in research to further the technology of orthopedics.

3. Be able to help with important surgery choices such as, "what is the best type of implant for this type of treatment?"

4. Being happy at my job and able to help spread the word about what PA's do.

5. And lastly, it's a job that isn't going anywhere.  In fact, recent research shows that there are more millennials than baby boomers (google it).  So, in the future, when the millennials get older, fatter, and start hurting their joints.  There will be plenty of patients to treat, giving ALL of us job security.

Keep the personal attacks down.  Other posters are merely offering their opinion based on experience- they aren't attacking you.  They are free to express their own opinion just as you are.

Be nice  True Anomaly. 

I have worked very hard to get where I'm at, and I'm passionate about this.

To hear people bash their own profession disgusts me.  Especially one that requires so much hard work.

Why?  Because we live in America, where you can do anything you want-

And if you're not doing what you want (ex., hating your job). Change your job.

It's that simple.

True Anomaly, in the future, this wont happen again. You have my word.

Happiness can exist in medicine if you one very important thing

And that thing is

SPECIALIZE!!!

IF, and only IF, that is what you desire in life.

At one point in time, family medicine was the highest ranking status a doctor could become.

But things change and now it's seen as, "bottom of the barrel," by some.

I don't believe that physicians have trademarked the term internist. Geriatrician, or any other of the terms used to describe what we do

I commonly call my self either an IM PA or an internist..... I never say I am boarded in such, as that is a doc issue - but I am certainly describing myself accurately to say I am an IM PA or an internist.....

I would argue strongly against giving established medicine MORE control over labels and terms that they use, there is just not the point....

Captain obvious here, but, how could you have worked 10,00 hours in "medicine" if you havent even finished school....

Medicine is when you actually have a license.

Hope it works out for you bud. Might want to check your ghetto attitude though...people will be criticizing you your whole career, and the gloves come off when you aren't in school anymore.

You're right, I should re-phrase my statement.

I have worked 10,000+ hours in medical device & ortho/spine implant sales.

I have had well over 10,000+ hours of patient interaction in the past 10 years of my career (applying bone growth stimulators to patients). I understand that it is NOT direct patient CARE.. But it is experience in treating patients. A lot of experience.

I have been a consultant to multiple orthopedic surgeons during well over 1000 total knees, hips, shoulders, ORIF's, scopes, spinal fusions, etc etc in the operating room. During these cases I am a vital part to the team, letting them know what is coming up next in the procedure and how to setup particular instruments.  I am also a vital part to, especially, newer surgeons that haven't been fellow trained on total joints. 

So, you're right, I said it wrong.  But I do have those hours.  And that experience does count for something.

I know it's not direct patient care and diagnosing things. 

But that's where I want to be after school,

Because I have seen that side (shadowing doctors and PA's) and know that it's something I can be good at.

Thank you for correcting me, I haven't had 10,000+ hours in medicine-

I have had 10,000+ hours working in the medical field.

My job is not a pharmaceutical sales rep.

I play a much more integral part with the surgical team and with the patients of whom I am fitting bone growth stimulators to.

i feel as if the gloves have already come off.  And if there is one thing I can handle (which you couldn't see from this post ha ha) it's criticism.  I get it on a daily basis at work and humor is the only solution I've come up with to deal with it.

In referencing my attitude, I understand that I came off wrong, I am very passionate about this and I get upset when people bash a profession they worked so hard to get into.

Nice post and I am happy to see it. I look forward to caring for those people in the future as you do now. Even though I do not start classes for my program until Jan, I feel pretty confident in wanting to practice as an internist, it fits who I am and what I desire out of the career!

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

I am excited for you!

Congrats on your acceptance!!

Just because you see where the profession could improve doesn't mean you're bashing it. Stating that "you knew what you were getting into" is a simplistic view. First it implies that something is perfect and cannot be improved upon. Almost never the case. It also discourages growth and maturity. I knew hazing goes on in the military, but that doesn't mean when I joined I was accepting of sticking recruits in the dryer. Medicine and the world changes, we too must also adapt and change and grow.

I encourage every person interested in medicine to consider PA as an option. Just be prepared as it is still evolving.

If you don't want the profession to change, fine, but don't tell me I shouldn't act to make it better because "I knew what I was getting into."

Lastly, I didn't know we needed research studies to know that millennials outnumbered baby boomers. Every generation outnumbers the previous.

I know what implant companies are rotten scum, I understand almost all major orthopedic procedures (total knee, total shoulder, total hip, scopes, fracture management, osteobiologics, etc etc).  And for someone who is as passionate as I am about my work, and who has such a good grasp on the business side of the field- I feel it's my duty to jump in and help. 

But I know that by entering the field of orthopedics as a P.A.,

I will be doing my part, to make a ripple on this earth, by:

1. Becoming fulfilled, myself.  Thus, being able to teach other's about how to become fulfilled, and also by being able to show up to work with a smile and a passion to help people change their lives.

2. Assisting in research to further the technology of orthopedics.

3. Be able to help with important surgery choices such as, "what is the best type of implant for this type of treatment?"

4. Being happy at my job and able to help spread the word about what PA's do.

5. And lastly, it's a job that isn't going anywhere.  In fact, recent research shows that there are more millennials than baby boomers (google it).  So, in the future, when the millennials get older, fatter, and start hurting their joints.  There will be plenty of patients to treat, giving ALL of us job security.

Truckboat -- I am an ortho PA who spends the majority of my time in the OR. Its a great gig and I enjoy it, but some of your expectations may be unrealistic as a PA.

To your first comment quoted... The surgeon you work with is unlikely to care about which companies you think are 'scum.' If the doc you work with has used Stryker since training, has a good sales rep, etc... they are going to continue to use stryker, regardless of if you believe they are 'scum' (stryker used only for reference purposes because they were the first company that came to mind...)

2. The vast majority of PA's do not participate in research. I would say that from my experience, this is even more true within the field of orthopedics. If research is something that is very important to you, investigate the field very closely.

3. Somewhat as above... Most physicians will continue to use what they are most familiar with and prefer. Now as far as products within a line, you may have some input, but this depends on the surgeon.

I'm not trying to knock down your dreams. I truly enjoy my job. I am in a great situation, working primarily w/ 2 surgeons. One of which is probably the most open, respectful surgeon I've ever been around. Before you make the decision to pursue PA education, be sure that your dreams/impressions/expectations match reality. I think that is all people are trying to convey to you in this thread.

Best of luck

Lastly, I didn't know we needed research studies to know that millennials outnumbered baby boomers. Every generation outnumbers the previous.

But that's exactly the problem with being Generation X: the Boomers still outnumber us. We only became a bigger labor force in 2012, after quite a lot of them retired. The Milennials are a larger generation, but it's just not true that every generation is bigger than the preceding one. The Boomers were an outlier - it's why they have spent their whole lives thinking they're special. ;)

Gen X outnumbers Boomers in the labor force, less than 5 years ago:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/05/11/millennials-surpass-gen-xers-as-the-largest-generation-in-u-s-labor-force/

Just this year, enough Boomers had died that the Milennials became the bigger living generation:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/25/millennials-overtake-baby-boomers/

To OP's point, there are members of this forum who consistently do, in fact, put down the profession. I've seen the that trend over several post over my last 2 years lurking and then joining the board. It's fine if it's their opinion or how they see it as someone who's done this for years - still, a spade is a spade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that's exactly the problem with being Generation X: the Boomers still outnumber us. We only became a bigger labor force in 2012, after quite a lot of them retired. The Milennials are a larger generation, but it's just not true that every generation is bigger than the preceding one. The Boomers were an outlier - it's why they have spent their whole lives thinking they're special. ;)

Gen X outnumbers Boomers in the labor force, less than 5 years ago:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/05/11/millennials-surpass-gen-xers-as-the-largest-generation-in-u-s-labor-force/

Just this year, enough Boomers had died that the Milennials became the bigger living generation:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/25/millennials-overtake-baby-boomers/

I suppose my point is that it's inevitable that following generations will be larger. I don't think anyone believes that the world population is shrinking.

The 'boomer' generation is named after the baby boom that occurred after world war II. Population growth was suppressed during the war, in the 10 years after the war there was a population 'boom', which then subsided (generation X).

Overall world population is growing overall, but that does not mean it grows at a constant rate. Also individual regions/countries will have their own patterns of growth over time.

As for covering Social Security expenses, it is not only that the boomer generation has more people, but also that they are living longer than past generations. So you have to pay out more over a lifetime, for the average baby boomer than for someone the generation before.

Social security, to my knowledge, is also being heavily subsidized beyond what the boomers have ever invested themselves. That is not sustainable.

And there you have it. All the information that I've seen over the years shows opposite what is noted here. Work force will be contracted compared to Boomer generation. Therein lies the viability of SS being in doubt. It will ultimately require later ages to obtain eligibility and a higher tax rate. Thread is deviating from original premise which I apologize for.

I don't totally follow what you mean, but the subsidization is due to longer life expectancy. The prospect of a contracted workforce may or may not be a possibility, though sheer population increase points to the latter. I guess my concern has never been that there literally will not be enough people to put butts in seats, but that the medical profession isn't proportionately growing or won't proportionately grow due to several factors.

Thanks for the positive responses to everyone that gave one.

This forum is kind of a bummer, so I wont come back much.

but to the surgical PA RURALer/, thanks for the input!

i appreciate that.

i'd love to chat more thru private message about a few things with you if you don't mind?

If anyone thinks this forum is a bummer - just realize that it is real life.

We, by human nature, talk about bad things more than celebrating good things.

We all have good parts to our career and could take them for granted.

The things that nag or frustrate us take up more time and we talk about them.

We look to each other here on this forum for some support, understanding and suggestions. It is a safe place to air out frustrations to those who truly understand.

Some folks are tainted and grumpy and I get there too. I don't want to blow the experience for anyone but would like to remove any rosy colored spectacles.

We are in a politically contentious time with changes in healthcare that make us feel threatened, less valued and more frustrated.

If we don't stick together and support each other - all will be lost.

So, take the grumpy with the good. The career is worth it in my opinion but it comes with pitfalls and potential limitations. So does everything else.

Thanks to all my colleagues for being here and being real.

Archived