PA is The Best Job in The World

Wanting to post my thoughts on the PA profession.

I'm getting into the PA profession thru the opposite way most people do.

I Have worked in implant sales (mostly in the operating room, rarely in clinic & never bring lunches to any office.)

Taking classes at night. in order to knock out my pre-req's for PA school.

Out of college i wanted ZERO debt, so i got into implant sales and playing music at local bars to pay my bills.

Utilizing ebay & technology to make cash instead of getting a 9-5.

Built a small empire of business selling implants.

And i make music and still play for money at nights.

Realized with my knowledge i can really make a difference in patient's lives as a PA in the ortho/spine field. already have a surgical spine PA job setup for when i finish school with a private practice. paid as a 1099 contracted rate.

Life is good and you have to go thru the hardships to figure out what you REALLY TRULY want.

If i went into debt with school at 22 or went into an "easy" 9-5 type job - i wouldn't be who i am today.

My entrepreneurial experiences, failures and huge successes- have prepared me to be an excellent PA.

I've always said that there should be different schools for medicine, not just 'MED SCHOOL'.. there should be

-Surgical school

-Cardiac school

-Pain management school

-Radiology school

You graduate and you're all doctors- just in separate ways.

PA Education, is the closest way to do that.

You get in and LEARN your ass off- but you get out and GET TO WORK as soon as possible.

I will do a "residency," thru a private group in my town to get experience - Then will get almost triple the pay after that one year of "residency," with the group. aka- i will have graduated my residency, but without all the ridiculous testing that an MD/DO has to do.

PA is a type of education for a real person.

To be a doctor is to be a total outsider, my brother is one- he is a machine.

He doesn't need sleep. He doesn't need sex.

He can just learn adn learn. and learn. never go out. Always be in the library. and he loves it.

There are not many people like that, and if you're like that- and are in PA school,

PLEASE DROP OUT AND GOTO MEDICAL SCHOOL. We need more of you!haha

As for us PA's .. We act as hyper specialized doctors, without the extreme burden on our shoulders.

This profession is for the person who loves MORE than JUST medicine.

Maybe you love music.

Maybe you love art.

Don't be a doctor- you wont have enough time to devote to it and you'll die saying you wish you'd done more music.

I'm going to die knowing i helped people with my skills as a PA in spine and ortho and whatever else i decide to get into-

But i'm also going to die knowing i was LIVING MY LIFE.

I am so happy this profession exists.

And to people who post whining about "we aren't given enoughhhh creddddittttt *whaaa whaaaa**crying*."

Shut up.

Stop complaining and say i'm here to help people.

I'm an associate of the doctor.

He trusts me and i trust him.

You can trust me too.

Then continue, never complain.

Always own it.

You are the doctors associate because you chose this path in life.

He ranks higher than you but he will only treat you however you let him treat you.

If you're being disrespected- it's not because you're a PA, it's because of YOU.

interesting outlook

with my 24x7 call and running a department, and in general shouldering the responsibility that I do I would beg to differ on the "different then a doc statement" (except the 50% of pay)

but I do agree - if we just were acknowledged for what we know and do it would be easier world

Don't bash folks for finding a passion or a love for profession.

I still LOVE taking care of people 25 years in - at the most basic level.

Do I love Affordable Care - no

Do I love insurance adjustors - no

Do I love controlled drugs - no

But, at the heart, I became a PA because it is a passion and I am good at it. I can help people and do good things.

Yep, there are days of struggle and bitterness and burn out. 

But let's not taint a new generation who is expressing passion. Instead - give them cues and clues about avoiding burnout and maintaining perspective and doing right by patients.

Start out negative - stay negative.

Start out passionate but a dose of realism - better chances, I say.

Don't bash folks for finding a passion or a love for profession.

But let's not taint a new generation who is expressing passion. Instead - give them cues and clues about avoiding burnout and maintaining perspective and doing right by patients.

This....x 1000.

The profession will slowly die out if veteran/seasoned PAs steer us young and dumb "kids" from this path.

I work with an MD who collects, repairs, builds, and sometimes even plays guitars. Family Practice, bro. Where the MDs have all those cool qualities you may or may not be implying are only found in us PAs.

But it's excellent you're switching gears to come join the party. I left boring corporate America cube world, so nothing as exciting as your story, but it was seven years ago. No regrets.

My doc is a sci-fi nerd just like me and we have a lot of cats and dogs. We connect on many levels.

My kids ski with a friend who is a cardiologist because he will go on runs I will not and is often about as mature as the kids......

An anesthesiologist I worked with is a master welder and can build anything - he will teach anyone who wants to learn.

I LOVE some of the folks I work with because they are completely human and know their human side and appreciate mine. 

I firmly believe that those who are successful in medicine (because it is what I know) have varied interests and try to have as much fun after working very hard. 

Work to live not live to work.

Awesome responses.. and i will 100% post a 5 year follow up!

So, yea, I'm excited guys.. Really excited. I get to become fulfilled, by helping people, something i love (i used to sell bone growth stimulators and the satisfaction from that patient interaction was unbelievable.. Ultimately led me to starting school)

I agree with the posters who say let's not taint a future generation.

Let us be excited. let us burn out and come back.

I feel like i have the business side figured out and now i am stepping over to the other side.

I want to become more a part of the process- and still stay in the business side with all the connections i've made across America selling implants.

I am very confident i can make good money, live a great live and also be fulfilled with my job as a PA.

I am excited for this new part of my life to begin and thank you everyone for your feedback!a

As for the folk saying to "stay away," type of posts....

You probably didn't realize what you were getting into did you?

As a PA i have the option of saying to a surgeon, "I will work in the OR with you 3-4 days per week. i'll take 60k and help you run your business."

We have this beautiful option to take this degree in so many directions.

Work as much or as little as we want.

This much is true.  Work flexibility is probably the best part of being a PA.  Having said that, I will look for you 5+ year job satisfaction post ;)

I know where you're coming from, Truckboat. There's something really fun about the combo of "wide-eyed, enthusiastic, idealistic newbie" and also "experienced older person with a healthy perspective and ability to detect manure." Patients tell me I'm fun, high-energy, or "not like other doctors." I tell them, well, that's what happens when you love what you do. (And everyone in my group is like this, I swear.)

This much is true.  Work flexibility is probably the best part of being a PA.  Having said that, I will look for you 5+ year job satisfaction post ;)

why this negative attitude ? go away.

I know where you're coming from, Truckboat. There's something really fun about the combo of "wide-eyed, enthusiastic, idealistic newbie" and also "experienced older person with a healthy perspective and ability to detect manure." Patients tell me I'm fun, high-energy, or "not like other doctors." I tell them, well, that's what happens when you love what you do. (And everyone in my group is like this, I swear.)

this is the kind of great post i like to read. supportive. thank you.

...and I'm not sure you do either. But don't listen to people who have been doing the job you are romanticizing.

dude, . go away.

i'm no little kid. and you guys bashing your own profession is pathetic.

go do what you want.

stop doing something you hate.

thanks for trying to taint my views!

if you hate your job. bail.

life is too short to be so closed minded and think there is nothing else out there for you.

this is something i will love.

i've worked 10,000 plus hours in medicine and still want to do this.

took all pre-reqs and night and got into school

still motivated. still excited.

honestly, f*ck anyone who bashes their own profession, you look pitiful saying that and i'm sure you actually do suck in real life.

the grump type that no one likes.

this is shameful .. some of the responses to my excitement, you should delete your profiles, and start over.

pathetic.

to all who supported my post.

thank you, i'm sure you're great people

to anyone bashing or saying this 5 year garbage.

just leave. you're pathetic.

life is too short to be so closed minded and think there is nothing else out there for you.

honestly, f*ck anyone who bashes their own profession, you look pitiful saying that and i'm sure you actually do suck in real life.

this is shameful .. some of the responses to my excitement, you should delete your profiles, and start over.

pathetic.

Keep the personal attacks down.  Other posters are merely offering their opinion based on experience- they aren't attacking you.  They are free to express their own opinion just as you are.

Be nice

pathetic.

Yea, you're going to succeed with this mentality. Calling anyone with a dissenting view "pathetic".  And what exactly is a "doctor's associate"?  lol

Happiness can exist in medicine if you one very important thing

And that thing is

SPECIALIZE!!!

No, man!  No no no.  Specializing on the side of a generalist practice is cool, like being an internist who has a focus on diabetes or pulmonology.  But being a general internist/internal medicine PA is what medicine needs and it's a cool gig. 

I'm almost exactly 5 years in to my PA career (5 years and 2 days to be exact) and it is everything I hoped that it would be and often more.  It is frustrating as heck to deal with insurance companies.  It is frustrating as heck to deal with noncompliant patients or system abusers or drug abusers.  But guess what - this is "people."  You want to take care of people?  Good.  Great.  Wonderful!  We need more people who will care for others.  But you have got to remember that taking care of "people" means taking care of the homeless dude under the bridge with frostbite and amputation wounds whose diet consists of beer and canned soup.  It means taking care of the drug addict who jumps off a building when he's high.  It means taking care of the well established professor who has depression and cannot get his personal life together and is going through a divorce so he can't remember to keep his cholesterol and blood pressure in check.  "People" are a heterogenous messy bunch of folks, many of whom have no idea how they got where they are in life.  And taking care of them is awesome.  It is hard.  It is taxing.  It is a privilege.  And it rocks. 

I'm not actually knocking the PAs who specialize.  I get that you want to be an expert in one area of medicine.  It pays better, too.  But I think you miss out on an awful lot of the human condition when you're in specialty practice. 

To the OP - keep the optimism going.  We, as a profession, obviously need it. 

Captain obvious here, but, how could you have worked 10,00 hours in "medicine" if you havent even finished school....

Medicine is when you actually have a license.

Hope it works out for you bud. Might want to check your ghetto attitude though...people will be criticizing you your whole career, and the gloves come off when you aren't in school anymore.

No, man! No no no. Specializing on the side of a generalist practice is cool, like being an internist who has a focus on diabetes or pulmonology. But being a general internist is what medicine needs and it's a cool gig.

I'm almost exactly 5 years in to my PA career (5 years and 2 days to be exact) and it is everything I hoped that it would be and often more. It is frustrating as heck to deal with insurance companies. It is frustrating as heck to deal with noncompliant patients or system abusers or drug abusers. But guess what - this is "people." You want to take care of people? Good. Great. Wonderful! We need more people who will care for others. But you have got to remember that taking care of "people" means taking care of the homeless dude under the bridge with frostbite and amputation wounds whose diet consists of beer and canned soup. It means taking care of the drug addict who jumps off a building when he's high. It means taking care of the well established professor who has depression and cannot get his personal life together and is going through a divorce so he can't remember to keep his cholesterol and blood pressure in check. "People" are a heterogenous messy bunch of folks, many of whom have no idea how they got where they are in life. And taking care of them is awesome. It is hard. It is taxing. It is a privilege. And it rocks.

I'm not actually knocking the PAs who specialize. I get that you want to be an expert in one area of medicine. It pays better, too. But I think you miss out on an awful lot of the human condition when you're in specialty practice.

To the OP - keep the optimism going. We, as a profession, obviously need it.

Nice post and I am happy to see it. I look forward to caring for those people in the future as you do now. Even though I do not start classes for my program until Jan, I feel pretty confident in wanting to practice as an internist, it fits who I am and what I desire out of the career!

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Febrifuge -

Good point of clarification.  I did not intend to claim the title of internist, though I realize that is how it appears.  What I intended to say was that general internists are important and for everyone to specialize harms medicine - PAs and docs alike.  I practice general internal medicine as a PA, so I was intending to emphasize the importance of the primary care aspect of medicine. 

Ace, you're good - I was responding to this part here, from pacsoon2b:

Even though I do not start classes for my program until Jan, I feel pretty confident in wanting to practice as an internist, it fits who I am and what I desire out of the career!

I like to gently set the young 'uns straight, when it comes to smaller, simpler things that are easy to fix.

Archived