New ED job vs existing job

Hello, 

I was hired as a new grad 1 year ago to work in the fast track area of the ED and as a provider in triage. I have been seeing fast track patients without physician oversight for about the past 6 months. Over the course of the year I have started to see main ED patients in the fast track with physician oversight. When I was hired one year ago it was the first time that this ED had any PA's working in the ED. Because of that, my scope was fairly narrow as they did not know how knowledgable PA's were and how well that we worked along with me being a new grad. When I was hired as a new grad the contract was for 93,600 a year which comes out to 45 dollars an hour. I work four 10 hour shifts per week. After I hit my 1 year mark I applied to a few jobs. I recently recieved an offer from another ED for $54 dollars an hour with a $2,500-3,000 guarenteed quaterly bonus. I would be working at a base of 140 hours per month with the oppurtunity to pick up extra shifts if I want.  The job would integrate me more so in the main ED rather then just the fast track. This ED has a large amount of PA's working there. The PA's there are very well established. The ED enviroment there seems to have a great environment for learning as a PA with monthly meetings driven towards PA's education on various topics. It sounds like a great place to work and learn. I accepted the offer. I just sent my letter of resignation about a week ago giving my current job 90 days notice. After submitting my resignation, my current boss says he would do everything in his power to keep me at my current job. He says that they would transition me to working strickly in the main ED with no fast track shifts. He also offered me $65 dollars per hour to stay. He is making it very difficult for me to leave with an offer like that. Some of the problems that have come up is that I have only been working here one year and I am the longest tenured PA so I dont quite have the oppurtunity to work with and learn from other established PA's. The new job would also been about 15 minutes closer of a commute. 

Thoughts on the above scenario? Anything in particular I should be thinking about when making this decision? Thanks in advance. 

It sounds like there are three key factors in your decision:

• Commute time: alternatives are clear, but is the difference enough to really matter?
  • Compensation: the bonus structure you quote would be an additional $5-6/hour at the new job, making it $59-60/hour
  • Learning and scope of practice: this is where you would need negotiate specifics of your new scope on your current job with your boss.  See if the 2 of you can develop a plan for your learning by working with the docs, etc.  Then you can decide which environment will give you the best professional growth.

Good luck! 

There's a lot of things to consider here, a lot of which you have left out. Pay is only half the compensation package, you have not listed any of the benefits for the jobs.. Things like PTO, CME days, CME $, 401k matching, health insurance costs, malpractice insurance, etc.

I know a lot of people say it's not good to stay they come back with a better offer after you resign since they might try to find someone to replace you, but I doubt this would happen in your situation as you're the longest working PA there.. Also, don't worry so much about learning from other PAs, it's more about having SOMEONE to learn from which can certainly be one of the ED docs.

Thanks for the replies. I currently get 21 days PTO that are not differentiated. I get 5 days CME and $1,500 CME money. My current company contributes 40 cents for every dollar I put in up to 6% of my salary. One unique thing is that my current company provides me with a pension that is fully vested after 5 years. Malpractice is fully covered and health insurance is about $120 per month. The new company gives me 4 weeks vacation and 2 weeks sick time. I would get 1 week CME with $1,000 of CME money. They would contribute $1.20 for every dollar that I contribute up to 7%. My malpractice would still be fully covered and my health insurance would be about half at $60 dollars per month.  

So pretty similair, although 2 weeks extra sick days would be helpful. Also, without knowing what % of your salary goes into that pension, we can't really compare the 401k question. One good thing is saving 30 minutes per day on the new commute. I have a question, you said you're past a year. What happened at 1 year? Did you get a raise? If they were only willing to increase your pay when you gave your resignation, I'd personally just leave.

When I gave my resignation letter in my past job, the boss offered to help me buy an appartement or a car. He increased my pay and all the sudden wanted to fix everything.

It was a little too late. I declined. Things got awkward.

Thank god I gave them a resignation letter effective within 2 weeks.

You have accepted the other offer. And i assume it is because of reasons that are extremely important to you. Move on.

However, I would offer to help them find and train other PAs to replace you (heck, you could even recruit top students from your PA program to work there).

Open the doors for our profession within that facility.

Archived