A sad ending to a honored and profession: Corpsman

Sorry for the messed up title

Although this announcement is primarily military based, it effectively penetrates the PA profession - via admissions, current and prior service corpsman pride and the history of the PA profession.

It's announced today that The title Corpsman is no longer going to be used. The Navy in an attempt to modernize the rankings system, and presumably " maintain tradition", is doing away with rates. There is no more YN3 or HM2, just petty officer. Also, corpsman are now.......medical technicians.

http://www.militaryspot.com/news/navy-announces-enlisted-rating-modernization-plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-132285-14751708538_thumb.png

• Administrator

It's because they can't have corpspersons, as it sounds stupid even for a made-up word.  All the -man bits of the military nomenclature are going away.  I was talking with one of my Coastie friends, and he had to correct me on a discussion of rescue swimmers--they apparently haven't been 'aviation survivalmen' for quite some time now, so "ASM" didn't click as a rating.

It's because they can't have corpspersons, as it sounds stupid even for a made-up word.  All the -man bits of the military nomenclature are going away.  I was talking with one of my Coastie friends, and he had to correct me on a discussion of rescue swimmers--they apparently haven't been 'aviation survivalmen' for quite some time now, so "ASM" didn't click as a rating.

Apparently, seaman is not going away.

Also, I will never call myself a former 'medical technician'...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived