Interviews...Denials...Anyone else?

So far this cycle I have had 3 interviews and following those interviews, I was denied at every program. I'm sure that this points to my interview skills being subpar, and I plan on working on that before my next interview in October. However, I'm curious to hear from others, if you had similar disappointments which hopefully, eventually had a happy ending.

I have had two interviews and two denials so far. I also have another interview the end of October, my first MMI. I'm hoping that goes better; maybe the format will be easier to handle. The worst thing for me is that I did the exact same thing wrong in both interviews, even after identifying it and trying not to do it the second time. (I'm a bit of a spaz when nervous, which, in this context is apparently Very Bad.) The first school that denied me I wasn't that upset because it didn't really feel like a good fit to me but the second one I really liked and felt like I would have fit well at so I was really bummed. Anyway- I wasn't trying to write you the epic saga of my failure here I just wanted to let you know you're not alone and wish you luck at your upcoming interview. Fingers crossed! :)

I got denied after my first interview at a school that I applied to as a back up. It was kind of a bummer. I thought "I can't even get in to my back up."

I did some serious prep between my first interview and my next one. I tried to make my answers more genuine and tried to be more relaxed because I have the tendency to stiffen up during interviews, like many of us do. I practiced with my family members and even asked the doctor I scribe for about my responses. I felt so much more relaxed during my second interview, though the fact that I had a very nice interview panel did help me relax. I laughed with the panel and it felt more like a conversation than an interview. They asked me difficult questions, but I felt so much more relaxed, so I felt that my responses were that much better.  

I got my acceptance letter last Friday. 

I interviewed at another school last Thursday, so I'm waiting to hear back from them. I have two more interviews lined up for October. That first school just wasn't for me and it all worked out in the end.

I really hope the same happens for you! Good luck!

Practice talking about why you want to be a PA, to any friends and acquaintances who are willing to listen.  You will come out with more polished responses, and the process will not seem as nerve wrecking.  The interviewers aren't looking to see if you meet their standard; you've proven that if you've received an interview invitation.  Instead, they want to see that you are sincere, will fit in well, and contribute some uniqueness to your class, and to the profession.

A few interviewing pearls:

- Be yourself (just a "good" version; the one your mate might take to meet his/her parents)

- Don't think that failing this interview is the death-knell of your dreams. Thinking that way will only make you tighten up

- As a PA, you will need to build rapport rapidly with total strangers (otherwise called "new patients"). The interview is just an early example.

- Don't focus on what you think the interviewer wants you to say; answer the way you believe. 

- Don't over-rehearse your answers. Trust me: it's obvious to the interviewers.

- If it's a group interview, be nice to the others and gently build on their answers.

- Don't forget to breathe.

Good luck!

Thank you all for you stories and advice! My first interview was part MMI and part group ethical scenarios. I know where I went wrong at that interview. My second interview was part MMI, part 1 on 1. I thought I did well in the MMI portion, but in the 1 on 1, my interviewer only asked me 2 questions and spent the rest of the time talking about the program. It was a little odd. My 3rd interview was part 1 on 1, part ethical group scenario, and the biggest flaw I can think of is that my answers in the 1 on 1 were too long winded.

I actually think I've been able to do a good job at being myself and working past the nerves, but I guess I just haven't been able to put the whole package together yet. This next one is a group interview, so fingers crossed I'm able to put together all the good parts of my previous interviews and put together a knock out performance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you all for you stories and advice! My first interview was part MMI and part group ethical scenarios. I know where I went wrong at that interview. My second interview was part MMI, part 1 on 1. I thought I did well in the MMI portion, but in the 1 on 1, my interviewer only asked me 2 questions and spent the rest of the time talking about the program. It was a little odd. My 3rd interview was part 1 on 1, part ethical group scenario, and the biggest flaw I can think of is that my answers in the 1 on 1 were too long winded.

I actually think I've been able to do a good job at being myself and working past the nerves, but I guess I just haven't been able to put the whole package together yet. This next one is a group interview, so fingers crossed I'm able to put together all the good parts of my previous interviews and put together a knock out performance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does MMI mean!?

Anyone ever call or email a program once they've interviewed and have been denied? I was hoping I could get feedback about what my interview lacked / or application lacked? Not sure if someone would be able to help me with that in admissions department

It depends on the program whether they are wiling to give feedback. Some schools will tell you that they receive too many applications to give applicants feedback. Others will offer it with a denial. 

Archived