Funny Interview

I will be a new grad soon and had a hilarious interview yesterday.  I am interested in orthopedics, but have not yet secured a job (had a few offers that I refused for a variety of reasons).  As a result, I expanded my search to dermatology - which I do actually have some interest.  Had my first derm interview yesterday over FaceTime.

Background: I was a 2 sport athlete in college, football and wrestling.  I would say mentality mostly fits those sports, and I have an extensive background in coaching wrestling both at the collegiate and high school levels.  I am a powerlifter and was a powerlifting coach.  So, obviously my resume reads as a classic "ortho guy."

Interview: This was a derm practice started by a husband and wife (wife is a MD, husband runs the business side) team that expanded to now 4 locations and probably at least 30 total providers.  The first question was literally, "Why not ortho?"  Before I could even say 3 words the wife interrupted and started saying how perfectly I fit into ortho and that I should pursue that.  Her final comment was, "This is the worst interview ever," at which point she thanked me for my time and ended the call.

I am fine with the outcome as I now have an ortho offer I am seriously considering (need a few clarifications) and another great interview in ortho this week.  I just thought it was hilarious that I said four words "Hello;" and "my interest in" before I was cut off and the woman completely pegged me because of my resume and the way I look.

Just don't understand how they didn't know what to expect from my resume, haha!  Anyone ever had anything similar to this?

Many people have commented on threads in PA forum about the perils in joining a practice where a physician hires a family member to "manage the business."  I always ask about family relationship within the practice ownership and management structure. Often times, they won't tell you upfront because they know it creates all kinds of problems for employees. Some practice managers even utilize different (maiden) names to prevent obvious identification with physicians who own the practice. Here they told you up front which would have been enough for me to politely decline further consideration.  

Ick

One of my mantras.

NEVER work in a clinic where a spouse has any position, power or perceived power.

It never ends well for anyone.

We actually have a husband/wife both ortho docs in town and they have had screaming matches in the office about infidelity etc.

They fire staff randomly and currently can't get any MAs to work with them because word is out that it is like working in a bad TV Novella show.

Bad JuJu all the way around.

Jocks who go into medicine are often type-cast.  It is unfortunate.  

However, I have heard it said that to go into ortho you need to be as strong as an ox.  And almost as smart.

Haha, thanks...I guess.

I can usually tell when someone is going to go into ortho. They usually walk around like they are carrying two invisible suitcases.

I definitely know what you are talking about, but as I was sitting and approximately 800 miles away this could not have been it.

As many have mentioned, it usually is best to avoid clinics where spouses work together in any capacity.  I actually was not aware that this was the situation until the interview started when the husband/wife team introduced themselves.  Didn't really think about it, but I guess this could be another example that supports the idea.

I wonder about an inverse of your experience as well - as I am a petite, middle aged female - and have an ortho interview tomorrow.

Always, thought I'm the wrong prototype for ortho - but I'm not one to close doors prematurely or at all.

Though I was a jock in college (at 5' tall) and have been active in my sport and coaching for many years, I'm not sure I fit the typical physical jock or ortho PA profile.

Wish me luck!

I wonder about an inverse of your experience as well - as I am a petite, middle aged female - and have an ortho interview tomorrow.

Always, thought I'm the wrong prototype for ortho - but I'm not one to close doors prematurely or at all.

Though I was a jock in college (at 5' tall) and have been active in my sport and coaching for many years, I'm not sure I fit the typical physical jock or ortho PA profile.

Wish me luck!

I was taller than my male ortho doc and could pull the hip out better than he could during totals. I'm about 5'5" and was a soccer player.

He actually kicked a male scrub tech out one day because I could hold/push/pull better and knew when to do what. 

Not an actual verbal compliment from Napoleon but it worked at the moment.

You will do fine. Know your stuff and you will shine!

Thanks for the encouragement y'all!

As to the husband /wife caution mentioned previously, do you think this applies to husband/wife MD partners in a group.  I have an offer on the table from a family practice husband/wife team.  They have a practice manager (unrelated) who seems business like and sensible.

Thoughts...?

The ortho couple I know in my town have screaming matches in the office about his supposed infidelity.

They fire people just because they are mad at each other. There office is a nightmare.

In an MD/MD married couple or MD/PA or PA/PA I would say there is still propensity to protect one another at others' expense.

It all depends on how mature and professional they can be in the office and if they can keep homelife at home.

Be suspicious.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be a new grad soon and had a hilarious interview yesterday.  I am interested in orthopedics, but have not yet secured a job (had a few offers that I refused for a variety of reasons).  As a result, I expanded my search to dermatology - which I do actually have some interest.  Had my first derm interview yesterday over FaceTime.

Background: I was a 2 sport athlete in college, football and wrestling.  I would say mentality mostly fits those sports, and I have an extensive background in coaching wrestling both at the collegiate and high school levels.  I am a powerlifter and was a powerlifting coach.  So, obviously my resume reads as a classic "ortho guy."

Interview: This was a derm practice started by a husband and wife (wife is a MD, husband runs the business side) team that expanded to now 4 locations and probably at least 30 total providers.  The first question was literally, "Why not ortho?"  Before I could even say 3 words the wife interrupted and started saying how perfectly I fit into ortho and that I should pursue that.  Her final comment was, "This is the worst interview ever," at which point she thanked me for my time and ended the call.

I am fine with the outcome as I now have an ortho offer I am seriously considering (need a few clarifications) and another great interview in ortho this week.  I just thought it was hilarious that I said four words "Hello;" and "my interest in" before I was cut off and the woman completely pegged me because of my resume and the way I look.

Just don't understand how they didn't know what to expect from my resume, haha!  Anyone ever had anything similar to this?

My jaded opinion here.....were they able to see you?  If so, you might have had a hair out of place, too bushy of eyebrows, a scar on your chin or some such skin blight and that was the end of the interview. 

Paula: It was a video conference, so yes they could see me.  But, I doubt it had to do with appearances, as I have had multiple interviews with multiple job offers.  I truly think she just pegged me as ortho and as a result I wouldn't fit.  This is a derm practice that has all female providers, and I don't think they wanted the typical "athletic" male who wrestled and played football.

Either way, I have secured what I believe to be a wonderful job starting in January in orthopedics!

Nope, my name is one of the four Gospels - so no ambiguity there.

As for the lawsuit, not worth my time, and I didn't record the conversation or anything.  Also, being a white male with plenty of "privilege" (whatever that means) decreases my likelihood of winning to basically nothing.

Reality Check 2: thank you, and I completely agree regarding the one gender practice

Paula: It was a video conference, so yes they could see me.  But, I doubt it had to do with appearances, as I have had multiple interviews with multiple job offers.  I truly think she just pegged me as ortho and as a result I wouldn't fit.  This is a derm practice that has all female providers, and I don't think they wanted the typical "athletic" male who wrestled and played football.

Either way, I have secured what I believe to be a wonderful job starting in January in orthopedics!

Wonderful and congrats on the new job.  Too bad that job discrimination still goes on, but it is part of life. 

Also, being a white male with plenty of "privilege" (whatever that means) decreases my likelihood of winning to basically nothing.

I think you're confusing the court of law with the court of public opinion (which is irrelevant in most settlements due to non-disclosure agreements).

Archived