NAVY PA program Specialization

I am interested in going to PA school and have done a little research on the Navy's program for those wanting to go to school as PA. I have read that those that have gone in end up getting deployed and mostly do primary care. I have been on the flip side of the military life with my Dad being in for 20+ years so I have moved quite a bit and also lived overseas. I have a BS in Kinesiology and a MS in Exercise Science and Wellness. I have spent a year working in PT clinics and also have worked with clinical populations mainly pulmonary and cardiac rehab settings. I am interested in specializing more so in cardiology, I just wanted to know if I should even bother looking into joining the Navy if I cannot specialize. 

I am not saying that they are only Navy I just looked more into the programs that the Navy offers: Navy Health Services Collegiate Program (HSCP),  Navy Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP), and Navy Health Professions Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP). The loan repayment option would be the HPLRP.  

I don't have any undergraduate student loans I only have my current graduate loans. This is why I wanted to do more research with all of the options but from what I read those that have been through it have been deployed and go straight to primary care. 

I would wait to get acceptance letters first, then I would apply for the programs that is usually how it works. I am not ready to just commit to active duty and deployments if I am not able to work in the specialty area that I am most interested in. 

I am not saying that they are only Navy I just looked more into the programs that the Navy offers: Navy Health Services Collegiate Program (HSCP), Navy Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP), and Navy Health Professions Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP). The loan repayment option would be the HPLRP.

I don't have any undergraduate student loans I only have my current graduate loans. This is why I wanted to do more research with all of the options but from what I read those that have been through it have been deployed and go straight to primary care.

I would wait to get acceptance letters first, then I would apply for the programs that is usually how it works. I am not ready to just commit to active duty and deployments if I am not able to work in the specialty area that I am most interested in.

There is only one Navy program, HSCP, that does not pay for tuition. It gives you the salary of an E6 for 24 months, and all other AD benefits like Tricare, housing allowance, ect. If you go to an expensive school, it likely won't cover the cost. It's great for families though that need extra to live on.

Don't join the Navy, or any branch. You will hate every second based on what I've read here.

There are some fellowships offered through the Navy, but you most likely won't get them for at least one tour ( 3 years usually). Currently, there are only 2. One in Ortho and one in EM. There are two others that are coming through the pipeline and will be available hopefully (Flight medicine and General Surgery). Nothing is guaranteed in the Navy so if you plan on specializing right after school, the Navy may not be for you. I believe the Air Force has more fellowships  for PAs than the Navy currently so you might want to check them out. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived