Rant - feel insulted during interview.... thoughts?

I had a phone interview for FM position this afternoon. Lasted all of 10 min.

Felt insulted.

First, he calls me 50 minutes late and with no apology or mention of time.

Asks why I want to live in so rural an area, and why his area - I grew up in rural areas on a farm, and he was NOT cordial about asking about it - I felt like I was being interrogated.

Then says he won't discuss anything about the job or consider me until he sees the recommendations from PHYSICIANS - he couldn't care less about my school or other PA's I've worked with having recommendations that I could provide.

Next he asks me how much I want to make. I avoided the question to the best of my ability with the whole "how much does the job pay" but he insisted, then said he wasn't sure and "what's the market like now?"

So I pulled the salary range for my state's PAs from AAPA and told him 89K-120K annual. He scoffed at it and said "but that's all PAs."

I said it's the state, but based on 0-1yr experience AAPA lists 83-109K.

He flat out told me - he didn't believe me!! And then said he hired a new grad PA who is very good who wasn't hired at NEAR that amount. Then said he wouldn't discuss anything further until I got him those physician contacts.

Bye.

I discovered online that he's been looking since last year for a PA.

Shame on the new grad PA who took that job.

Shame.

Thanks everybody! And Rev Ronin, when I got off the call I thought about sending him the recommendations he asked for - cuz I can get them no problem - but then husband laughed at me and asked me WHY?!

LOL - some odd obligation to be professional in spite of jerks like that, I guess.

I'm still reminding myself that I am under no obligation to send him anything he asked me for since he had such a clear disregard for me, my skills, OR my credibility!

blow it off

just another out of touch employer

send a nice thank you note and decline the position.  Make him realize he missed a professional (and you never want to burn a bridge)

How do you suggest that I make him realize he missed a professional? Just by sending the note of thanks? Or by mentioning something a certain way?

You can't make him know anything but you can stay on the high road and send a note of thanks mentioning that you are following other opportunities but thank him for the time spent and interest.

Kill them with kindness. Smile. Smile. Be nice.

Move on and smile. Living well is the best revenge.

He will never get it. You can't fix him. Just be nice and GO.

I wouldn't feel insulted unless he actually said something directed at you personally, but I would feel sorry for him that he doesn't realize the potential he is missing.

If it were me, I would write a thank you and I would explain clearly and professionally why I am no longer interested, and possibly explain the quality that PA's can bring to a medical practice.

I understand the feelings of the OP.

Someone was rude, misinformed, short sighted and, frankly, rude. 

This person was not collegial and seriously lacks information and respect for our profession.

The question in my mind would be - Can I seriously change this person's perspective without damaging a relationship or reputation? Can I impart some knowledge and make a better place for PAs in this environment?

The answer with the info given by the OP is a resounding NO. 

My outside voice and self preserving inner child wants to poke him in the eye and tell him he is a bully and a jerk. That would serve no purpose and only make me look like a big baby with poor self control. 

So, I would do my best to avoid snide or sideways comments in a note and just say that other options are being pursued. No bridges burned. His behavior is not condoned but not blasted. 

The OP came to the conversation with excellent data and the doc does not want to recognize it. Can't fix that and especially not on the phone in a rushed manner.

Deep Sigh, Deep Breath, Move On

Reality Check, you get me!! We've been talking back in forth on the forums for some time. Thanks! 100% agree!

I will send him a Thank you card to his office and decline. He's been looking for a while - I enjoy the thought that he will be looking for some time longer with an attitude like that!! I just pray that other new grads STAY AWAY!

To mgriffiths:

I wouldn't feel insulted unless he actually said something directed at you personally,...and possibly explain the quality that PA's can bring to a medical practice.

Did you READ or just scan my posting?

How would you like for an interviewer to come to you almost an hour late with zero apology or recognition of wasted time, criticize your desire to work in a certain area, tell you your PA references (who have become not only professional colleagues, but FRIENDS) mean nothing to them and only a doctor is important to see YOUR worth, laugh at your presentation of AAPA salary ranges, and then tell you, VERBATIM, "I don't believe you," and brag to you how they managed to basically low-ball a new grad PA into their employ before you......?

Yes, I definitely felt insulted, on multiple levels - professionally AND personally.

This "interview" told me he doesn't value my time, doesn't care about my background, skill, OR experience as a PA, and in very few words managed to attack my friends, my credibility, and my worth and that of all PAs. All in a 10 minute conversation over the phone.

I've been there.  It makes you feel bad to have an interview go that way.  That said...

I had a similar experience and eventually came across a employee of the organization that I felt a bit insulted by.  This employee felt that the interviewer basically bottom feeds, looking for a doormat who will take the job.  They hire doormats, low ball them, grind them into dust, and then they eventually move on if they can or become hopelessly indoctrinated in the system.

You might have dodged a bullet.

To mgriffiths:

Did you READ or just scan my posting?

How would you like for an interviewer to come to you almost an hour late with zero apology or recognition of wasted time, criticize your desire to work in a certain area, tell you your PA references (who have become not only professional colleagues, but FRIENDS) mean nothing to them and only a doctor is important to see YOUR worth, laugh at your presentation of AAPA salary ranges, and then tell you, VERBATIM, "I don't believe you," and brag to you how they managed to basically low-ball a new grad PA into their employ before you......?

Yes, I definitely felt insulted, on multiple levels - professionally AND personally.

This "interview" told me he doesn't value my time, doesn't care about my background, skill, OR experience as a PA, and in very few words managed to attack my friends, my credibility, and my worth and that of all PAs. All in a 10 minute conversation over the phone.

I did read your post, but I will be honest by the time I actually replied after reading other responses some of those specifics had slipped my mind.  I apologize, and agree that you have every reason to be insulted.

Mgriffiths, I appreciate your apology.

and 

I've been there.  It makes you feel bad to have an interview go that way.  That said...

I had a similar experience and eventually came across a employee of the organization that I felt a bit insulted by.  This employee felt that the interviewer basically bottom feeds, looking for a doormat who will take the job.  They hire doormats, low ball them, grind them into dust, and then they eventually move on if they can or become hopelessly indoctrinated in the system.

You might have dodged a bullet.

I definitely feel like I DID dodge that bullet! I have seen places that did the doormat shuffle like that and it's sickening because that person that leaves has been damaged by them.

Archived