Ohio University

I was also wondering how diverse the class is as far as age, previous healthcare experience? The program states it requires previous healthcare experience but doesn't give an hour requirement. 

The second cohort did get to meet some of the current students, as we took the interviewees on tours of the building and anatomy lab. I was asked standard questions throughout my interview and I'm sure that hasn't changed. Both cohorts are pretty close within their own class and get involved with many activities and volunteering. Even when we spend 50+ hours together throughout the week, we still hang out on our off time too. Yes, we have a cadaver lab that we share with the osteopathic med students but when you're in lab, its just the PA students and not the OM students. When my class started, we had people as young as 21 and 30 was the oldest. People had backgrounds in anything from biology, chemistry, athletic training, massage therapy, business, and music. My class required 1000 hours of patient care experience but I think they changed that for the second class to just have some hours and not a specific amount. Hope that answers your questions!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone making a trip to Dublin, OH to interview with our program, good luck and we're excited to see you in the building.  If you have any questions about things to do while you're here in Ohio, feel free to ask questions!

PA-S, Ohio University 2018

Thanks for the offer! I am very excited to be check out OU's program! HugzMonster, did you also hear back within a few weeks of your interview on your acceptance status? 

Thanks for the offer! I am very excited to be check out OU's program! HugzMonster, did you also hear back within a few weeks of your interview on your acceptance status? 

I interviewed on a Friday afternoon the week before Thanksgiving and was accepted the second week of December.  I was notified by phone and then an official e-mail and mailing were sent in the following weeks.

Hi everyone! 

I wanted to give everyone who will be interviewing a little advice. I interviewed at OU on 10/19 and was accepted on 10/25. I have decided that this is where I will be attending :) woo can't wait! 

Anyways, my interview was very laid back. You have one 15 minute interview session with the program director, one 15 minute session with the admissions coordinator and one 30 minute session with 2 faculty members. You then get a tour of the awesome facilities. A current student will give the tour, which gives you the opportunity to ask questions. All of the faculty were very welcoming and made me feel very relaxed about my interview. All of the questions were what you would normally expect. I actually really enjoyed my interview! 

Good luck to everyone that is interviewing, and please let me know if you have any other questions. I am so excited about this program and I hope to be meeting many of you in May :) 

Hi everyone! 

I wanted to give everyone who will be interviewing a little advice. I interviewed at OU on 10/19 and was accepted on 10/25. I have decided that this is where I will be attending :) woo can't wait! 

Anyways, my interview was very laid back. You have one 15 minute interview session with the program director, one 15 minute session with the admissions coordinator and one 30 minute session with 2 faculty members. You then get a tour of the awesome facilities. A current student will give the tour, which gives you the opportunity to ask questions. All of the faculty were very welcoming and made me feel very relaxed about my interview. All of the questions were what you would normally expect. I actually really enjoyed my interview! 

Good luck to everyone that is interviewing, and please let me know if you have any other questions. I am so excited about this program and I hope to be meeting many of you in May :) 

Thanks for the info! That really clarifies the interview process. Are you from Ohio originally?

did anyone ask when we should here back from them after the interview? 

When I asked, they said that they hand out admissions completely on a rolling basis. I found out just a few days after my interview (by phone) but it seems like rather than having an official "wait list" they just continue to hand out admissions as people decline offers up until December and then create an official wait list. So you may hear back soon or you may not hear back until next month. It seems a little frustrating like they just kinda leave ya hanging :/ 

When I asked, they said that they hand out admissions completely on a rolling basis. I found out just a few days after my interview (by phone) but it seems like rather than having an official "wait list" they just continue to hand out admissions as people decline offers up until December and then create an official wait list. So you may hear back soon or you may not hear back until next month. It seems a little frustrating like they just kinda leave ya hanging :/ 

When did you submit your application if you don't mind me asking?

For those who have interviewed already and are now waiting, try not to let it get to you that much.  Most candidates at any PA program will have a 1-2 week wait before they get a call.  Sometimes it's an acceptance and sometimes it's a notification that they've been waitlisted.  My class ended up taking several people from the waitlist as late as February (probably not the news you guys wanted to hear).  Stay active, enjoy your free time while you still have it, and make sure you don't get complacent if you still have interviews at other programs.  Cheers!

HugzMonster, PA-S

Ohio University Physician Assistant Program 2018

For those who have interviewed already and are now waiting, try not to let it get to you that much.  Most candidates at any PA program will have a 1-2 week wait before they get a call.  Sometimes it's an acceptance and sometimes it's a notification that they've been waitlisted.  My class ended up taking several people from the waitlist as late as February (probably not the news you guys wanted to hear).  Stay active, enjoy your free time while you still have it, and make sure you don't get complacent if you still have interviews at other programs.  Cheers!

HugzMonster, PA-S

Ohio University Physician Assistant Program 2018

Great advice! Thanks! I also have a question- Are any of the students in your class married with children? Or does this program not seem to favor non-traditional students like this?

Great advice! Thanks! I also have a question- Are any of the students in your class married with children? Or does this program not seem to favor non-traditional students like this?

The 2017 class have several students who are married or got married during didactic.  2018 also has two married students and one of them has a 2 year old.  So the program does like to have a range of diversity when it comes to non-traditional students.  I myself am a career changer and used to sell software prior to making the move into the healthcare field.  If anything, I think it was my personal background that tipped me in favor of getting accepted.  Hope this helps!

I am not married, but I am a non-traditional student who was accepted a couple of weeks ago. I ended up turning down my acceptance for another program, but I definitely think that being non-traditional was in my favor.

I am not married, but I am a non-traditional student who was accepted a couple of weeks ago. I ended up turning down my acceptance for another program, but I definitely think that being non-traditional was in my favor.

Good to know. I'm fairly non-traditional as well. Does anyone know how many more interviews they have/how many at each?

Archived