MAJOR ADVICE

Hello need advice currently a junior in college recently transferred to a different school and changing majors. My main focus is my GPA in order to get into PA school my first try. My GPA isn't too great right now thats the reason why I'm mainly focused not that. Currently my GPA is a 3.0. My major was biology and i stuck in between changing my major to B.S in public health or either BSN. Currently I would have to wait to get accepted into the entry level BSN program at UTA which is only 15 months online which is why I'm considering this option and that I can have a job once i graduate if i don't get accepted my try for PA school. Another reason I pick B.S in public health is because I can easily get a higher GPA with that degree. Just need advice on which route I should take...??? And I currently have 500 HCE doing Patient Care Tech/ Medical Assistant work & 20 hours shadowing a PA. 

In the research that I have done for the programs I applied too, the major really doesn't matter to many schools. A Bachelors is a bachelors to them provided you have the required classes completed. My advice is to go with the degree that you will enjoy the most, a BSN will potentially give you the opportunity to gain much better experience than an PH degree will. 

BSN, I work with tons of nurses and if you have the intention of going into healthcare, you'll get really great exposure as a nurse/nursing student. I know a lot of new BSN grads working in really cool specialties so if you work as a nurse before PA school you'll pretty much have your pick of what area of medicine you want to work in (EVERYONE needs nurses). It'll also open a lot of doors for networking/future references for your application.  Just make sure you're not missing out on pre-reqs you'll need for PA school, I'd say that may be the only caveat: that not all nursing degrees will give you your upper level chemistries/biologies that a lot of PA schools ask for these days.

I am currently enrolled in the UTA BSN program in the lower division courses, upper division nursing courses will start for me next Fall. 

This was my second cycle applying to PA schools, and right now my thinking is that if I am not accepted in to any programs this cycle then I will finish the BSN program and pursue nurse practitioner. Initially I thought that nursing would help me become competitive to apply to PA schools, but I have a lot of student loans and this is something that really weighed my decision. 

I will also say that the AP BSN program is rather competitive to get in to, so keep that in mind.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BS in PH is pure BS.  You can get the MPH easily without the BS-PH.  There are quite a number of programs that offer PA-MPH if that's what you want.  I would definitely recommend the BSN as well.  Just the smarter choice all around.  You can even get into a PH position and have them pay for your MPH if you'd like.  The minor in Spanish will also help tremendously.  Although being Cuban I am bias. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Get the BSN.  It gives you more options.  You could then also join the Uniformed Services to include the US Public Health Service.  There are plenty of options for BSN RNs and if you don't get into PA school you can use the experience of the RN to strengthen your application.  I think the BSN is win/win all around.  I wish I had gone that route 20 years ago when it was recommended to me.

Archived