the recertification mess

We have to play the games though and unhinge ourselves systematically and gracefully otherwise receive their wrath.

We have to show our capabilities and ability to be independent through careful analysis of efficacy, accuracy, cost effectiveness and get support while stressing the NEEDS of the US health system and the deficits we face without showing blame on the physicians or residencies, etc.

We have to stand on our own merits and avoid throwing any barbs.

If we don't tread carefully and remain collegial - we will be unemployed and hated.

why are you suggesting that we be fearful? just because you may "fear the wrath" of a physician does not mean the majority of PAs do. I dont see any NPs that fear the wrath of physicians. I show my capabilities and abilities to be independent every time i see a patient. i could give you volumes of patient scenarios in which my PA training prevented physician caused malpractice and patient harm, and the physician was very very grateful.

why are you suggesting that we be fearful? just because you may "fear the wrath" of a physician does not mean the majority of PAs do. I dont see any NPs that fear the wrath of physicians. I show my capabilities and abilities to be independent every time i see a patient. i could give you volumes of patient scenarios in which my PA training prevented physician caused malpractice and patient harm, and the physician was very very grateful.

If we upset a large group of highly paid professionals who have a fairly strong lobby and backing from such as the AMA, etc - we could have them go after our profession - lots of lawyers, lobbying, negative press, not being supervising physicians --- systematic badness and destruction.

So, I don't cower but I don't bite the hand that currently feeds me.

We can unhinge diplomatically and show our professionalism and tout our abilities but we shouldn't bash the folks that currently sign for us and keep us employed under the current legislature.

I KNOW my professional worth and skillset - I have to convince everyone else of it in an effort to gain more independence.

I cannot say this enough times. PAs do not enjoy any unique benefit of being "aligned" with physicians. The physicians see PAs and NPs as persons who are taking parts of their workload and performing at the same level of performance for lower cost. That scares them. It should thrill everyone else; legislators, administrator and PAs who impact the bottom line. NPs are enjoying professional freedom that eats away at our future. This is a zero sum game. I don't suggest battling NPs. We merely need to achieve independence in one state first. The dominoes will fall thereafter. With independence, PAs will gain more respect, more profits for the firm, more individual income and more job security. Let's stop acting like field hands who are just so grateful that we can eat the crumbs from the master's table and go to bed without a whippin' tonight. There's lots of tall cotton to pick in the hot sun tomorrow boys. 

I cannot say this enough times. PAs do not enjoy any unique benefit of being "aligned" with physicians. The physicians see PAs and NPs as persons who are taking parts of their workload and performing at the same level of performance for lower cost. That scares them. It should thrill everyone else; legislators, administrator and PAs who impact the bottom line. NPs are enjoying professional freedom that eats away at our future. This is a zero sum game. I don't suggest battling NPs. We merely need to achieve independence in one state first. The dominoes will fall thereafter. With independence, PAs will gain more respect, more profits for the firm, more individual income and more job security. Let's stop acting like field hands who are just so grateful that we can eat the crumbs from the master's table and go to bed without a whippin' tonight. There's lots of tall cotton to pick in the hot sun tomorrow boys. 

I do not agree with your standpoint and sense a great deal of anger in your tone and wording.

I DO want independence and definitely deserve it but I am not antagonistic toward physicians or NPs and have no desire to anger them.

The US health care debacle means there are plenty of patients for all of us and we, as PAs, are definitely willing and capable of taking care of them. 

I agree to disagree but don't want anyone representing me nationally who is angry, bitter or has a chip on the shoulder. I want to remain collegial and participate as a member of the healthcare community - not an outlier. We are still in a diplomacy phase and there is no need for war.

I think Reality Check 2 summed up the debate that is taking place within the PA ranks. Some believe that collegiality and diplomacy will result in independence, respect, increased earnings and professional advancement. Others believe that the last 50 years of collegiality and diplomacy has left us in an increasingly vulnerable position professionally . Confrontation and a strategy for a direct attack are essential. Angry? Yes.  Every PA should be angry about what is happening to our profession. I encourage every PA to read Norm Ovitz book "The DO's; The history of osteopathic medicine in America." You will see that DOs tried to be polite, gracious and cooperative.  The MDs and the AMA behaved like mobsters and street thugs. Don't take my view. Read the actual history of their horrific behavior. DOs didn't get where they are today by kindness and waiting for the MDs to award them equality. It was a hard knuckled fight to win respect, equality and independence. Our patients need to understand that we are not assistants. We practice medicine. We went to and graduated from medical school. Just like MDs and DOs. There is no daylight between MDs ,DOs and PAs after 2 to 5 years of practice. 

You understand of course that hospitals require you to have the C because the C exists.  If our profession changes how we certify and re-certify it is the responsibility of the hospitals to adapt. They can't require you to have a C that doesn't exist.  And there is nothing keeping a new national certifying agent to come along and offer a test that nationally certifies you for life.

Why do we need an exam to keep the "C." Who says certification has to be attached to an exam? When someone says "get rid of the PANRE, it doesn't benefit our patients," the reply usually is "but certification!!!!!!!" The standardized test is the problem, not the certification. The NCCPA can change the requirements to maintain the certification. We need some fresh thinking as the profession grows. I'd like to see the focus on helping providers stay up to date on current practices. So yes, getting rid of the PANRE doesn't mean getting rid of the "C."

Archived